Skimmer or No Skimmer in AIO 120 gl

PVsReef

I have a 120 AIO IM tank that’s 8 months old. I run it with two media baskets with floss, Chemi-Pure Blue, Marine Pure Biofilter mixed with Matrix 50/50 in both baskets.

I also run carbon mix with rowaphos reactor.

I just purchased a Tunze macro algae reactor which I’m setting up in a couple of days.

I have two 20gl brut pals under the tank one for ATO with Kalk and one I use for water changes.

I dose All For Reef 15ML a day right now.

No skimmer.

I’m adding more fish to the tank and have it stocked with corals.

I want to know what is best to put in the media baskets? Should I change what I have in it.

Should I consider a skimmer? I would get the Tunze 9012? Or wait and see how the micro reactor does.

If no skimmer what should I put in the empty overflow section in the back. One of them has the reactor pumps in it.

Corals
Black light torch
Soul reaper torch
Todd’s torch
Rose gold hammer
Purple tip hammer
ORANGE BRANCH OCTO
Rainbow bubble anemone
Neon green bubble tip anemone
PONAPE BIRDSNEST
Walt Disney
Joe the coral
Rainbow Infusion Zoa
Exosphere Zoa
Tequila Sunrise mushroom
Goniopora

Fish
2 Chromes
2 black Clown fish
Clown Tang
Dotty back goby
Watchman goby
7 line wrasse
2 damsels
Sailfin tang
Coral beauty
1 male 1 female SQUAMIPINNIS ANTHIAS
Pistil shrimp
Fire shrimp
Cleaner shrimp
CBS
Cleaning crew

Attachments

• IMG_8339.jpeg
    IMG_8339.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 4
I can’t comment on the media baskets but I have a 65 SPS with no skimmer (I have one handy if needed for certain things (like flatworm exit or similar). I would say unless you’re seeing adverse affects, I wouldn’t run a skimmer.

I can’t comment on the media baskets but I have a 65 SPS with no skimmer (I have one handy if needed for certain things (like flatworm exit or similar). I would say unless you’re seeing adverse affects, I wouldn’t run a skimmer.
Agree with this. I always use a skimmer but it’s personal preference.

I like small skimmer in AIO tanks for aeration. Without the overflow to the sump, fully stock AIO tanks can get hypoxic at night.

With smaller tanks very simple to do larger water changes to correct everything, with 120 gallons a skimmer is my recommendation

Back