Skimmer Q&A Thread

bk mini 160 pulls 600 lph of air the vertex is about 400 lph. i tried meshing out a in 100 and best was about 500 lph. not really what I was hoping for. the becketts are kind of noisey but if that isnt a issue then go for it. The becketts are better for larger tanks with small foot print application IMO.

Mojo~

Mojo,
Thanks for those numbers. I am very concerned with overskimming.
Sps tanks ran on loaded up bacterial webs do not seem to need as heavy of skimming.
Thanks again, and whatever I end up with, I will let you know:thumbsup:

Thank you

Per your earlier advice for my system (130 TOT gal with soon to be heavy bioload) I want to go with Tue vortex 180 gen 3 but I hear so many complaints on the pump. I don't want to shell out more $ On a replacement pump so is there another option near $300 that would work as well or better with a more reliable pump or is the negative feedback on the vortex not accurate? So many varying opinions on skimmers really is getting out of hand imo so hoping you can shed some light.

PurdueMAN08
At the beginning of 2011 the ATI Powercone will be out here in the states.
It's one awesome skimmer, and this is the route I will probably go. The cost is excellent, for a QUALITY MADE skimmer that is German built.
I think you will be quite impressed. At a little over 400.00 it should be worth every penny and then some!
Check out this vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIzfWOr_ww
This skimmer looks to be a real beast! It's adjusted VERY wet in the video.
I think this is going to be a big hit! Here's another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTebEDWrgM
At 19-22 watts for the 200, its awesome! IT also uses a Box mesh wheel for very little maintenance on the wheel and longevity.
There will be three models. The 160,200 and 250!!!!
VERY AFFORDABLE AND A REAL BARGAIN..............

Oh, and I am not a big fan of cone skimmers. They seem to be more of a optical illusion that your getting more foam then anything!
However, this unit has a beautiful transitional body. And the bubble plate is in the exact right spot(ON THE BOTTOM) and the larger ringed shape reduces pressure.
Very nice....................

Thanks genesis, but that will be about $180-200 more than the vortex and there is no date for its release yet. I need a good skimmer quickly and don't want to wait what could be many months or else I would probably consider. looks good though!

Mojo,
Thanks for your response to my question above!

You suggested the NAC-7. I like that skimmer and the comparable SWC 160 Cone. Problem is I have 5" water level in my sump and can't change that. Is there a pump upgrade you can recommend that would allow me to use one of these skimmers, which as I understand, operate best at 8-10" ? I'm assuming my thought of increasing pump pressure would compensate for lack of water pressure due to low sump water level?

purdueman { ugn hate saying that, go IU }
the vertex in180 is thier best skimmer out of their line's, i have owned the in180 twice, never had pump issue's or noise. it was just too much skimmer for my 80g system.
i currently run a vertex in100 with a atb airstar pump and this thing is a monster.

genesis, i do agree that the vertex in100 just doesnt pull enough air for the body { switched pumps to a airstar mini } i know mojo like's the bk, as i owned one also and just wasn't impressed per $ my modded in100 will kill the bk mini 160, nice feature is bk breaks completely down and apart, but if the pump goes plan to shell out some $ to get a new one. if you got the $ to spend then get the atb 840 or wait for the new bm to be released as that will be my next skimmer to test out

How do y'all think the Deltec 2060 model specs stack up against its competitors for a 250G tank with a total system volume around 290G?

NYReefNoob,
You know, I really like your skimmer idea with the IN-100! What did the Mini Airstar pump set you back? Where can I get one?
Do you have a vid of your skimmer working? I love the shape of the Vertex IN skimmer!!
Thanks!

purdueman { ugn hate saying that, go IU }
the vertex in180 is thier best skimmer out of their line's, i have owned the in180 twice, never had pump issue's or noise. it was just too much skimmer for my 80g system.
i currently run a vertex in100 with a atb airstar pump and this thing is a monster.

genesis, i do agree that the vertex in100 just doesnt pull enough air for the body { switched pumps to a airstar mini } i know mojo like's the bk, as i owned one also and just wasn't impressed per $ my modded in100 will kill the bk mini 160, nice feature is bk breaks completely down and apart, but if the pump goes plan to shell out some $ to get a new one. if you got the $ to spend then get the atb 840 or wait for the new bm to be released as that will be my next skimmer to test out

I am going to pull the trigger on the vertex 180. Premium aquatics is pushing some sales and skimmers should be included. It would be great to pick one up for around $260! We shall see...

Oh yeah, BOILER UP!

hey mojo I picked up a swc 150 bmk 3 weeks ago so its broken in. but I can get any skimmate other than a yellow tea, light yellow.

I have the water level set at the very top of the neck. It can't keep a foam head even if I set the water level half way up the neck.

I do have a light bio load and feed sparingly. Is it possible I dont have enough organics to pull out of the tank?

any suggestions?

hey mojo,

i've got a 90 gallon SPS dominant with fairly heavy bioload and thinking about upgrading skimmers, but haven't been keeping up with the latest, greatest models out there. i'm currently running a DAS EX 1 and hoping for something better. Which external skimmer model might you recommend? Thanks!

So I just set my tank up this weekend with dry fiji rock and got the ATB running today.

It is absolutely erupting and it's wide open. Any idea whats going on? I'm dosing 5 caps on MB7 everyday but I turned the skimmer off for 4 hours after I dosed.

I can't get it to stop.

IMAG0144.jpg

So I just set my tank up this weekend with dry fiji rock and got the ATB running today.

It is absolutely erupting and it's wide open. Any idea whats going on? I'm dosing 5 caps on MB7 everyday but I turned the skimmer off for 4 hours after I dosed.

I can't get it to stop.

IMAG0144.jpg

2 things. How deep is the water. I found mine to run best from 6 to 7 inches.

second thing. If you used all dry rock and its all new saltwater it can cause a skimmer to just go crazy for a bit. I would make sure the water level is good and then just give the tank a little time to gain some organics.

Back