Skimmer Q&A Thread

Thanks bro I didn't realize the reply lol I'll look into the octo then. Hey do you know the difference between the rd mini 160 gen1 and gen 2 ?

Thanks bro I didn't realize the reply lol I'll look into the octo then. Hey do you know the difference between the rd mini 160 gen1 and gen 2 ?

The easiest way. The gen 2 had the air silencer on top of the wedge pipe. Gen 1 has it mounted to the side of the pipe

the 121 or the sro 1000 would be better on that size tank. the cs1 would do better on a about a tank with a little more load due to neck size.

Thanks Mojo. What have you found to be the best sump water level for the 121? The manual says 180 -240mm (7-91/2").

Mojo, you didn`t mention if you think this will work on a Elos midi 36 gallon plus elos 400 sump ? (dont know the actual water vulume of this sump)

Is it too big ? or is it OK?

I dont plan to have many fishes as it is only a 36 gallon display tank plus sump but I`m planing on having many LPS and SPS corals.

I was also considering a smaller SWC Extreme cone 120 but I cant get these in Europe.

Thanks

It would work fine. But a tunze would probably work better for you're size tank.

Hi Mojo,

I've got a 300dd tank with total water volume of approximately 400 gallons (inlcuding sump and frag tank). I bought an Octopus TDNW-300 about 2 to 3 years ago (this build has been a long process :lolspin:), and just this past weekend got it hooked up and running in my sump. Not too impressed so far, and haven't heard much positive about it. There have been no mods made to this skimmer to date.

I plan to eventually have a heavy fish and SPS load. My questions are:

Do you think this skimmer will be okay? If not, any mods that could bring it up to a good level?

If I would be better off just going and ahead and getting something better now, what would you recommend?

I've read several pages of this thread and have seen you recommend each of the skimmers listed below for tanks in my size range. Which would be best?

Aquamax AM 250
ATB 1050 deluxe
Hurricane cat 1
MSX250A
SRO 5000 int

My skimmer pump finally gave out a few days ago. My tank went for about 2 days total without a skimmer until my replacement pump arrived yesterday evening. I fired it up, and although it's the same make and model as the old pump, it produces a lot more bubbles as the old one was on its last leg. I expected to see a lot of skimmate in the collection cup this morning, but nothing at all. I just replaced the pump, not the whole skimmer. Could this be due to the oils/finishes from production of the new pump that need to be "washed off"/slime coated?

I would def go with the SRO or avast cs1 with the psk 1000 pump. you could get the SRO int 2000. the int is a bit cheaper and has a long conical transition to the neck. Thebb 2000 pump will do really well .

the Avast cs1 is great too, and with the sicce psk 1000 its a really great skimmer.

I would choose between those two.

Thanks Mojo. I'm leaning toward the Avast I think. It's got the psk 1000 pump and swabbie installed already. And i can pick it up from a local reefer for about $200.

Do these neck cleaners that are out there like the swabbie reduce or hinder foam production? It would seem to me that they would?

It would work fine. But a tunze would probably work better for you're size tank.

I was thinking about going with the skimz 121 on 12hrs on/off interval.

do you think this is a good idea ?

Wich Tunze models are you refering to ?

Thanks for your patience and advise.

I have read a lot of your skimmer reviews, and would appreciate your advice. I am having a 165G display, and approximately 60G sump built. I am looking for an in sump skimmer. The tank will be in the living room, so a very quiet skimmer is a must. I'm considering a SRO, Skimz SM201, or a Vertex Alpha 200. Price is a consideration, but I am willing to spend as much as I need to for performance and near silent operation.

Would you recommend any of these, or is there another I should look at?

Tank will be FOWLR with maybe a few soft corals.

Thanks so much!

I have read a lot of your skimmer reviews, and would appreciate your advice. I am having a 165G display, and approximately 60G sump built. I am looking for an in sump skimmer. The tank will be in the living room, so a very quiet skimmer is a must. I'm considering a SRO, Skimz SM201, or a Vertex Alpha 200. Price is a consideration, but I am willing to spend as much as I need to for performance and near silent operation.

Thanks so much!

How about an ATB 840. It is silent and well built and cheaper than the Alpha.

I've read very positive reviews of the 840, but do you think it's big enough? Some of the reviews I've read recommend it for 100G or so...

Hi Mojo,

I've got a 300dd tank with total water volume of approximately 400 gallons (inlcuding sump and frag tank). I bought an Octopus TDNW-300 about 2 to 3 years ago (this build has been a long process :lolspin:), and just this past weekend got it hooked up and running in my sump. Not too impressed so far, and haven't heard much positive about it. There have been no mods made to this skimmer to date.

I plan to eventually have a heavy fish and SPS load. My questions are:

Do you think this skimmer will be okay? If not, any mods that could bring it up to a good level?

If I would be better off just going and ahead and getting something better now, what would you recommend?

I've read several pages of this thread and have seen you recommend each of the skimmers listed below for tanks in my size range. Which would be best?

Aquamax AM 250
ATB 1050 deluxe
Hurricane cat 1
MSX250A
SRO 5000 int

The Am 250 would be a bit small. THe others honestly would all work great. Its really a matter of what features and water level from there. All of them are good skimmers.

My skimmer pump finally gave out a few days ago. My tank went for about 2 days total without a skimmer until my replacement pump arrived yesterday evening. I fired it up, and although it's the same make and model as the old pump, it produces a lot more bubbles as the old one was on its last leg. I expected to see a lot of skimmate in the collection cup this morning, but nothing at all. I just replaced the pump, not the whole skimmer. Could this be due to the oils/finishes from production of the new pump that need to be "washed off"/slime coated?

you ar exactly right. IT takes time for the new pump to break in and get all slimmed up.

Do these neck cleaners that are out there like the swabbie reduce or hinder foam production? It would seem to me that they would?

Well yes and no. in a perfect world they would slightly hinder performance. But as you run your skimmer for a couple days it helps keeping your neck clean. This is really nice for steady performance. They are nice to have.

Thanks so much!

The skimz SM201 would be good, The atb 840 v2 would be great as well. However it is really pushing the upper limits of the water volume of a heavy load on the 840. The Bk mini 180 gen 2 would be great and very quiet. also the atb Elegance 200. Both use the askol pump and are really quiet. I think we should look at your sump level too. How deep do you plan to run your water. This will help as well. You could get away with a Octo xs 200 with the sicce psk 1000. Same pump as the ATB. Or the AVAST black pearl. Let me know the water level and budget.
mojo~

Back