Skimmer Question/help

Lakescum

Hello all, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Are there any skimmers that can be used under the tank such as a fluval vs hang on back or in sump? or does this pose a flood risk? I am currently using a sump, but am going back to canister and LR filtration as the sump noise is driving me bonkers.

Thx Lake

Canister, really? I would ditch the canister and just get a nice hangon skimmer. AquaC Remora/Remora Pro Protein Skimmers is a really great hangon. Remember you can tweek the sump somewhat for less noise. The benefits that a sump have out weight the noise. What's ur tank size? I would really keep your sump!

My new sump is quieter than my old hob protein skimmer. Try tweakng your plumbing to quiet it down. Post some Pictures and maybe someone can help

As mentioned I would work on cutting the noise of the sump down. A sump should not be that loud.

As far as external skimmers, you would need a hob, I haven't heard of anything that works like a canister filter. You could have an external skimmer above the tank so the water returning from the skimmer flows into the tank, but it would be a real eye sore.

What size is your tank? There are a few decent hob skimmers on the market.

Ahh... A little peace

Ahh... A little peace

Thank u all for the many replies/suggestions. I have since gotten my sump noise down to a minimum. First it's a 75 gal with a 30 gal sump. The noise was coming mostly from the drop down tubes to sump due to running 396g/hr return pump wide open, didn't realize I needed to reduce return flow. Skimmer noise was due to vibration of maxi jet being suction cupped to glass, now stands alone in sump center. Also I have built a carpeted screen to surround 3 sides of sump. TaDa near silence, and no goin postal.
Will post a few pics later.

Thx all Lake

Back