Skimmer size question

shocker444

Hi everyone reading this ill start by telling you about my set up and where I'm going with this post. I'm currently running twin marine land 265 in the wall. One is up and running the other is half way there. I have the 265 plus 135 sump and 75 gallon mantis shrimp tank all tied in to each other. I run a my reef creations mr6 external skimmer and it is a pain in the a** to tune, not sure if it is way to large for my system or whats going on. I'm now deciding to tear down the two tanks as it would be easer to maintain one then two and I've wanted a large system for years so I'm doing it. Just ordered my brand new d.a.s aquariums 720 gallon glass tank its a monster 96x48x36. Will do a post about it in a month or so when the snow melts so i can get it in the house. But what I'm asking is what skimmer to buy to handle 720 tank 300 sump and 120 frag all tied together. I will have a heavy bio load a lot of fish so i need a good one. I figured i would ask what people are using or recommend. I was looking at super reef octopus 9000 but mite not need such a big skimmer please let me no what you think thanks to all who answer

It's really boils down to a matter of preference. Derate the skimmer according to what your keeping. IE... high bioload and SPS derate 50-60% medium bioload and mostly LPs closer to 30%

I've always went with the Octopus but like Dmorty217 said it is personal preference. You can never go wrong with a bigger skimmer capacity

Well i just did not want to get a huge skimmer that required a ton of water volume to run optimal I think thats what is wrong with my skimmer now it requirers more water then my drains can handle so the flow in the sump is to fast. I will have 3 1.5 inch drains from the tank so i should a ton of water turnover i like sro. The Rk2 are nice but vary high priced but thank you for the input I'm new to this large of a system my 265 was only up and running for a year

I mentioned the RK2 "If money was no object" all of their products are high priced comparatively speaking

Has anybody used or using the super reef octapus 9000 can't seem to find any reviews have some questions about it like auto cleaning head will it fit on this model and what feed pump are people using thanks

Your MR6 is way too large for your existing system, but should be just about right for your new system. These are large turnover skimmers meant to remove gunk from large systems as quickly as possible. Fine tuning is slightly less of a concern than how fast in can remove stuff once you put it in; which will soon be of a bigger concern in your larger system...you do need to account for the plumbing however. I would keep the MR6.

ps. you can ship it to me, if you are really sick of it. :)

Last edited:
I don't have any reef friends lol where are you about I'm 20 min north of syracuse i try to push this hobby on my friend but they don't want none of it lol

I am 45 min east of cuse. I am in the process of setting up a new 300 in my office. Yeah I had a few friends interested, once they have seen all I have into it.. time wise alone. They quickly changed their mind. Snowmobiling or working on the tank. Both time consuming, both require the right set of tool and or accessories, both are expensive..lol

Back