Skimmer Upgrade

frbrd84

I have a 75gl. reef tank with a 20 gl. sump , I currently have a berlin turbo protein skimmer looking to upgrade, was looking at bubble magus, reef octopus ,coralife and one that looked similar but not sure about was made by catalina, have done some research seems like all have there good points and bad just want a good dependable one Thanks

You can't go wrong with either Bubble Magus or Reef Octopus. Both are tried and true among hobbyists. It ultimately boils down to space and money.

I have a 75 with an older Reef Octo in the sump. It's actually an external version but I run it in the sump anyway. Skimmers are prone to over-flow no matter how good they are or how careful you are. My Reef Octo works great but watch out for footprint. Make sure whatever skimmer you pick will fit in the sump.

Either of the 2 should fit in my sump with no problems, found both on ebay but not sure if I should get from there or my normal online supplier Thanks

Take a look a the AquaMaxx EM100. Uses the same Sicce pumps as the RO does, but very small footprint, 8.6” x 6.3”x21,7". HERE is a little write up I did on it where I have it on my 110g with a 30g sump. It is rated to 120g. To date, it has never overflowed. Set it and forget it.

AquaMaxxEcoMaxxEM100_zpsc1c52219.jpg

Back