Skimmerless

I have one but don't run it all the time. It does pull goop out but I wonder if this is good for the corals. Levels are ok

Something that I've wondered about is how much is actually pulled out versus how much is growing in the skimmer. I've moved lots of tanks over the years for people and an incongruity I've noticed is skimmers full of anaerobic stuff there are little or no anaerobic areas in the system. More importantly, research shows the DOCs (aka cabon dosing) that cause issues for corals are hydrophylic in nature so skimmer are pretty much useless for removning them. When I started my maintenance business in the mid '90s what stood out was it wasn't how much or how fancy the equipment, including skimmers, a system had that determined it's success, it was how consistant the maintenance, including water changes, was done. Skimmers seemed fairly superfluous.

What I consider more important, over the last couple decades there's been research across the board shown how critical healthy microbial processes are to the health of a ecosystems. We know skimmers are only able to pull out a subset of the microbial stuff. It's just the microbial stuff that is hydrophobic that can be removed. So we're looking at a peice of equipment that by the very nature it functions is altering the microbial stuff in the water guaranteeing disrupted microbial processes. So, yes, I consider skimmers detrrimental to the long term health of corals and reef ecosystems.

Thanks for all the great replies.

It’s been a while, and I am between tanks right now. I am planning to restart my old Red Sea Max C130. I have removed the canopy and will also remove the skimmer. That lets a chamber the length of the tank, and about 5” wide at the back of the tank. I am thinking to put cheato in this chamber. The cheato will float to the surface. So I am think how will I light it? There will be a pendant type LED lighting system on the display tank, so that will provide lighting during the day time. Do I absolutely need to have 24hr or reverse lighting? I could put some small underwater LED strip light in the chamber that would come on at night. Would that be necessary?

I will probably run the Red Sea skimmer just for cycling, then add the cheato and begin stocking with corals only, very slowly.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for all your great replies.

When running skimmerless, lighting on your algae needs to be greater than the lighting on your display. Algae will pick the best location to grow and if that is in your display that is where it will grow. 2nd you will want to stock a large number of pods before adding fish and coral. Add them and feed them until they are everywhere. Then you can start adding your fish. The pods will consume the fish waste and any leftover food minimizing the impact of the addition. Adjust your nitrate by tuning the light intensity and the length of time it is on. BRS did some nice experiments on biom cycling and refugiums. It will shed a lot of light on the subject. Definitely watch it before setting up your tank. Their best results is very close to the method I use. The biggest difference is when I add rock from another system I do not allow it to touch the air it is always kept submerged. The reason for this is the anaerobic bacteria inside the rock is what takes forever to cycle and any amount you can preserve will be very beneficial. Once removed from the water air will kill this bacteria and the cycle will have to start over again.

Back