Slap happy gorgonian

sloshes

In Memoriam
I can't tell ya how much I love this stuff.

p10101191vk.jpg

p10101182au.jpg

Looks pretty-pretty Slosh. I almost got one the other day just like it at the LFS. Had another one that was a dull yellow and it was nice also.

Thanks, buddy. This one didn't look too sharp when I got it from the LFS a month ago. It stayed in my 55 for 3 weeks and has really blossomed since being moved to my 20 gallon soon-to-be seahorse tank. It's fun to watch it explode at feeding time and water changes.

i have one of those... according to wetwebmedia this species has low survival rates.. doing ok for 6-12 months and then.. dead... watch out.. heavy feeding and high flow..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7366284#post7366284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishfreak218
i have one of those... according to wetwebmedia this species has low survival rates.. doing ok for 6-12 months and then.. dead... watch out.. heavy feeding and high flow..

Thanks, I have read a lot about that. I'm am feeding heavily and really want to see this guy flourish.

low survival rates is right. I kept two of them alive for years. a yellow and a red but you need to feed them twice a day and make sure each polyp get something to eat, that will keep them alive but if you want them to grow doubling that feeding would be a good start.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7372568#post7372568 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cnidae
low survival rates is right. I kept two of them alive for years. a yellow and a red but you need to feed them twice a day and make sure each polyp get something to eat, that will keep them alive but if you want them to grow doubling that feeding would be a good start.

What were you feeding?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7378079#post7378079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cnidae
I was feeding Eriks recipe but blending till it was really small and target feeding each polyp.

Erik's recipe? Do you have a link? TIA

Holy carp, Batman! I work and have kids so I don't see that happening. But don't worry everbody, I'll keep you updated on their health.

Unfortunaltey, these species of Gorgonian(diodogorgia) are aposymbiotic so lighting isn't a factor, however, target feeding is a must! The problem with this type of Gorgonian and Pterogorgia( purple sea blade) for example, is that they have microalgae that grows pretty easy on them causing them to die if not removed carefully and religiously.
It is unfortunate, that these Gorgonians don't have a proven track record of success in the long run.

I'm target feeding everyday, not with Eric's though, and my hermit crabs are pretty religious about keeping it clean.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7403321#post7403321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by parothead22
The problem with this type of Gorgonian and Pterogorgia( purple sea blade) for example, is that they have microalgae that grows pretty easy on them causing them to die if not removed carefully and religiously.
It is unfortunate, that these Gorgonians don't have a proven track record of success in the long run.
Careful. Pterogorgia is photosynthetic and is fairly easy to maintain under bright lighting. Diodogorgia (the yellow gorgonian seen in this thread) isn't photosynthetic and needs to be fed regularly.

Back