Slime on filter sock

Vorog

So I change my filter socks every three to four days. I wash them with bleach and water and rinse them well, then let them air dry for a day or two. Never had an issue. Haven't done much with my tank other than water changes weekly. I noticed my filter sock was slimy when I changed it one night. Didn't think much of it, then the next day it was time to change the new one because it too was slimy and full of water pouring out the top...now nothing in the tank or sump looks or feels slimy. Everything I have read said it is a bio bloom. Parameters are stable corals look better everyday. So just seeing what others think it could be. The only thing that has changed in the last 2 months. I changed salts from Red Sea coral pro to regular, and I use Red Sea reef energy...I doubt they have anything to do with it, but I figure the more information the better. All my corals are coloring up beautifully (the frags I got from some fellow RC members)

Bacterial Bloom. It may pass with very little change in appearance of water clarity or it may get worse. If it gets worse a UV sterilizer will clear if right up in a few days. Be prepared to change your socks daily, if not twice a day.

Slime on filter sock

Bacterial Bloom. It may pass with very little change in appearance of water clarity or it may get worse. If it gets worse a UV sterilizer will clear if right up in a few days. Be prepared to change your socks daily, if not twice a day.

I'm hoping it passes. I changed out my carbon also just in case. And I have about 15 socks ready to go for the next few days while the others get washed. I don't have a UV, but I'd like to get one in the near future and tie it into my return pump.

I agree. I had this issue a while back. Bacterial bloom. In my case it was because I was dosing too much vodka and didn't have enough nutrients in my tank and bacteria started to die.

Slime on filter sock

I know I have a little phosphates in my system, but my nitrates have been undetectable with my test kits. (Red Sea, and API) for a while now. And I over feed my tank. I know I do, but I have a good water change schedule, so I think I will keep a close eye on it, and maybe do half the water change amount I normally do maybe let my water dirty up

Last edited:

Agreed 100%

Back