Slow growth in sps corals

I'm no expert on LEDs but I see no reason to change them at the moment. But I'd run them at no higher than 50%
As for algea... I don't think the gfo is doing you any favors.. Algea is a normal/natural occurance in a marine environment. Get yourself an algea blenny, maybe a bristle toothed tang and an army of snails.. The growth and subsequent 'recycling' of algea by snails and fish will also become an excellent food source for your corals..

I'm no expert on LEDs but I see no reason to change them at the moment. But I'd run them at no higher than 50%
As for algea... I don't think the gfo is doing you any favors.. Algea is a normal/natural occurance in a marine environment. Get yourself an algea blenny, maybe a bristle toothed tang and an army of snails.. The growth and subsequent 'recycling' of algea by snails and fish will also become an excellent food source for your corals..

I agree with reefmutt keeping algae at bay is best done with critters and not media. I learned this the hard way

Your 50% would be the one I would run. Are you running any carbon? I see you have leathers in your tank with SPS. If you are going to keep them together you will need to run carbon and stay on top of changing it out.

SPS need time to settle in and grow bases. If they are not dying give them time to settle in to their new environment. Sometime it takes a while. If you see any growth during the first 2-3 months things are fine.

Your 50% would be the one I would run. Are you running any carbon? I see you have leathers in your tank with SPS. If you are going to keep them together you will need to run carbon and stay on top of changing it out.

SPS need time to settle in and grow bases. If they are not dying give them time to settle in to their new environment. Sometime it takes a while. If you see any growth during the first 2-3 months things are fine.
I run it in a reactor and change it every 2 weeks

I agree about LEDs and finding that sweet spot. It's not easy and takes time. I recently had to dial back my lighting because my corals were getting scorched. Even the Acros were turning pale. I have two AI Prime's over my 40B and I've decreased them down to 70% and that still might be too much. I'm running them at 18.5K.

I agree about LEDs and finding that sweet spot. It's not easy and takes time. I recently had to dial back my lighting because my corals were getting scorched. Even the Acros were turning pale. I have two AI Prime's over my 40B and I've decreased them down to 70% and that still might be too much. I'm running them at 18.5K.
Yeah its tough. Now that i have the par i have a better idea where to put stuff.

IMO you should bump up your calcium to 420ish and use a magnesium supplement like kent tech-m, it makes up the trifecta for coral growth. I run my Kh between 7-8 and i have been running crappy tru lumen leds for the last 2 years and the lights havent ever really been the problem for slow growth, it was usually due to too clean of water from runner ng gfo or those dam bio pellet things. Let the algae grow and get a tang!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4e62d9337e04cd738217d176bca862a1.jpg

Recent foto of the tank with my makeshift lid. Ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back