Small reef tank question

waveryder

I wanted to know if the countertop reef tanks are easy to maintain, I am thinking of getting one with a couple of clown fish and blue tangs.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
how small are you talking about?
tangs should only go into tanks of a size of 75gal or bigger.. some of the smaller types could be ok in a 55 gal but really shouldnt.
smaller tanks are a bit more work, they arent as stable as a bigger tank. so you will need to do water changes about every week or two, no skipping out.

[welcome]

Its the small rectangle ones, probrably about 10 gallons I think. It was like a package deal with live rock, coral, etc... they wanted $500 dollars for it.

You can't have a tang in a 10 gallon. All you can have in a 10 gallon is one small fish like a goby.

I am not sure on size maybe it was bigger but it definitely had two small clowns and one small blue tang. She said it was like a nemo tank, they are popular for people who have little space.

If there was a blue tang in there it should have at least been a 75 gallon. No tang can live in a 10 gallon tank there are just way to big.

whoever told you that definetly has low experience in saltwater fish. 1st even if it was a 20 gallon tangs should not go in. the min they should be in is a 55 gal or 75.
if you are talking about a table tank im sure it would be no bigger than 20 gallons.
20 gallon tank you can keep 2 perc clowns in.
10 gallon tank should only have 1 small fish in it and any crabs or shimp you want.

I think your'e right, it was 20 with two clowns and one small tang. Are the table tanks easy for begginers or just the same?

I highly suggest not getting a small tank for a beginner...Their levels can be way to instable for one who is new to the hobby to manage. Something very small can change the chemistry and throw everything off...I would try and get something from petco that is like 25-30gals. I have seen a 29gal cube for 120 bucks. I would go bigger then this if you have the money and space, but when you are getting into 10 and 12 gal tanks then it gets tough. In a 10 gallon you have a coupld of fish if they are small. A false perc, a gobie, a firefish would be ok. Fish that do not need lots of swimming room would be fine. But the more fish you have the more they poop and the more the water has a chance of getting fouled very easily.

The parameters in a small tank will be much less stabil than a larger tank and require more monitoring, skill, and experience. Better off to start withh a lrger tank figure things out , make mistakes, and basically gain experience. Bad things happen much faster in a smaller tank.

Now what about all reef tank or fish only with dead reef. This is confusing and expensive!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
well i have a 20 gallon long tank.
i came into this hobby 4 months ago.. with no experience. never had any kind of tank before.
i basically decided overnight that i want to get a saltwater tank (with my superbowl winnings.lol)
I read and read and asked many questions here. a week later i got all my equipment, and my tank has been perfectly fine. I just have a problem keeping my nitrates low. I only had 5 lbs of live rock in my tank but i just added another 15 pounds yesterday. im hoping that will help with lowering my nitrates and i upgraded my lighting and now getting my newly established algea outbreak. isnt to bad.. yet.
but all in all i think i did very good getting a small tank for not knowing anything about tanks . just make sure you read and understand everything and ask questions here

That sounds like a fun tank, Is something like that expensive?
You mentioned superbowl, you must of bet big!!!! I will probrably start out slow with a tank around 20 gallons and a couple of small fish.

accually i only started out with my tank about 300 dollars.
and every paycheck id use most of it to add more to the tank.
with my winnings(the 300 dollars) i got the tank, filter, sand, begginers kit including salt, hydrometer, themometer, nitrite test, ph test, and alk test. and i had a cheap light. at that point i was reading an outdated book that said live rock was for the experienced only and said to use airstones.. well i got a better book and came here and i had to add a powerhead and i bought 5lbs of live rock bc some is better than none and thats as much as i could afford at that point. i cycled the tank with raw shimp.
it was done cycling in a month and i added my clean up crew- shimp and snails.
then added one clown perc.
and 2 weeks later added another one.
i then upgraded my lights and got 2x65watts coralife pc fixture (2 weeks ago) and just added 15 lbs more of live rock.

Back