Small Starfish

Onyx97

I have recently started to see small white/gray colored starfish in my tank. At first only a couple and now I see a lot of them. What are they called and are they good or bad ?

Just keep an eye out on them. They can become high in numbers under the right conditions like overfeeding.. I have noticed a few in mine but thats all over the yrs.

I first noticed a large increase in my asterina starfish population over the last few months. I've kept on eye on them, and so far no funny business vs. my corals. Then again, my tank has quite a bit of algae and detritus lying around, so they're presumably well-fed.

Argh, I spoke too soon! Saw a couple of my larger asterina starfish snacking on my starburst polyps and stylophora! :( I'm gonna start removing those guys now. Probably to the new sump once my new system is setup and I'll re-evaluate from there.

depending on how many you have, you may consider getting some natural predators. I've enjoyed keeping harlequin shrimp with these critters over the years.

Little white starfish

Little white starfish

Yup, i have um too...alot of um. They get everywhere. Seem harmless enough. I have alot of sponge growth on the walls of my sump. I noticed they like to munch on the sponges! I just remove the ones i see around them, no biggie.

Easy to remove and kinda cute. This has no real backing but I think my asternia are helping control a red slime problem I have had for a while, even if they're just keeping it off the glass. Have seen them kill a zoo or two though.

Back