So fustrated about to give up on corals in general. Please save me

Diatoms only in lower flow areas on sand bed and right at the base of rock and the sand bed.

There's your problem. You need more flow. Flush out those dead spots in the water. Keep everything in suspension so you can skim it out.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you don't think alk of 9-10 is too high when nutrients are low you are a minority in that respect. There are many instances on this forum where people have had issues with alk in this range when nutrients are low.

I think we both agree that higher nutrients are a good thing. I'm saying I would do that BEFORE changing alkalinity. That way, hungry mouths get fed, and you don't have to worry about alkalinity being unstable. Change one thing at a time.

Then, you won't have a low nutrient / high alkalinity problem.

Also, What specific problems do people see? Not trying to argue, just hopefully learn a bit more.

I don't agree with everything in this video, but it does bring some science to the table about alkalinity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBktpJ3umAs

Anyway, if you want to lower alkalinity to 7-8 (towards NSW), that is fine. :dance:

Brs says to dose up to 1 dkh per day. I think that's too high a swing. Calculate and go slow in high flow area of sump. Lower lighting to reduce stress. Dose alk in am when ph is lowest. Ca in evening. As required, of course. Reduce additives, like mentioned above. Big alk adjusts seem to cause rtn'ing

I dose 6ml a day of alk and cal which is as close to not doseing anything as you can get. My parameters have been rock solid for a few months now. Slowly lowering my alk to 8dkh

There's your problem. You need more flow. Flush out those dead spots in the water. Keep everything in suspension so you can skim it out.

I dont no if I can turn my WAVs up any higher without creating a sand storm. I have them ranging from 55-75% throught a 24hr time period. 2 WAV powerheads and a jabao rw15 on the bottom corner is a ton of flow for a 120.

Back