So I may have baby cherub angelfish.....help

ag09g

About 3 months ago I purchased a trio of Cherub angelfish to add to my tank. Within a couple weeks of their introduction I noticed what I thought may have been courting behavior between them, but I had to leave to go back to school. I didnt think much of it, and didnt really care much as I never expected anything would come of it even if they did spawn.

Fast forward to last night. Having arrived home and spent 3 hours transferring the entire contents of my nano cube into the tank with these angelfish, I decided it was necessary to creep on the aquarium in the middle of the night to make sure no shenanigans were going on.

What I found instead were what I can only guess are larval angelfish! Basically there is a group of small fish shaped creatures swimming/living amongst a large clump of chaeto. Ive looked up pictures of other larval fish, and while Im not certain these are what they are, they do look like others I have seen.

Basically, all I want to know right now is if anyone knows more information about raising the larvae.

And more importantly, how I can guesstimate their age. They are about 1/2 to 3/4 of a centimeter in length, and while very small they are clearly visible to the eye and clearly fish shaped.

Thanks for any input!!

No, three cherubs in a 135, I had to break down the nano and put its inhabitants in with the angels.

Ive seen little mysids in one of my tanks before, and these dont like like that, or like any other small crustacean Ive ever seen. I might try to catch one so I can get a better look, luckily theyre in a super awkward part of the tank to reach...

Unlikely to be baby angels. They have a very fragile and long larval stage that without proper planktonic life and other optimal conditions that are not present in even the most meticulously kept reef thanks, they would perish within hours, that is if they even manage to hatch and stay alive as they can't even swim when newly hatched.

The eggs would more than likely be destroyed by your filtration as Centropyge are pelagic spawners and the eggs float...

Also, a centimeter is pretty huge for larval fish. I believe most angel larvae hatch at about 3 mm. So yeah, probably no baby fishies :(

Back