So you want to start a reef aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to say that I still consider myself a beginner. I have so much left to learn. That said, the best advice that I could give to anyone interested in the hobby is "Just do it!" (*I am in no way affiliated with Nike, and this is not a subtle attempt at promotion.
smile.gif
*) I think that encouragement is the area people entrenched in this hobby lack the most in. I would also tell them that keeping a reef isn't for everyone. It takes an attention-oriented, animal loving personality who is willing to spend upwards of a thousand dollars just to have a small slice of the ocean in their home. It is a never ending commitment, and some of these animals may very well out-live you. It is a series responsibility, but one that is not out of your reach. It is the most rewarding hobby I have ever been involved with. Then I would them three more things. First, read, read, and then read some more. Second "Nothing good happens in a reef fast." Third, Look at my signature.

-ignatz

"It takes a villiage to raise a reef."

Here is my input

1. Research, Research, Research. I just started my first reef tank. Had salt water fish only (SWFO) tanks from when I was 12 years old until I turned 19. Moved the tank twice and took 10 years off. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m new to reefs and the whole salt water fish keeping has changed a whole bunch in the past ten years. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m not totally new to the hobby but it took me two months to relearn and learn everything. Read books and use the Internet.
2. Every person has a different view and every tank has a different personality. I set up a 45 four months ago. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m setting up a 120 for the last month. Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢m having totally different problems with the new tank compared to the first tank. I prefer the natural solution to a problem, so you will have to have a basis to know what to do in order to treat a problem (thatââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s where #1 comes in.)e.i. you have really bad algae, buy some hermits or snails. You have Ich, buy a cleaner wrasse or some cleaning shrimp.
3. While in step one, start a couple lists. I started an equipment list, a fish list, a coral list and an invertebrate list. Write everything you want on these lists. As you do your reading and research you will learn what you can and canââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t have on your lists. Itââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s like the master plan to creating a whole world.
4. Try to resist the urge to buy that really cool looking critter that you know nothing about. At least put a deposit on it and go home and find out if you can take care of it. If you didnââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t take it home you can use the deposit on something else in the LFS. Believe me this works well. I remember a long time ago my panther grouper got a lot of very expensive dinners!
5. Donââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t overreact!!! And if you do, do it with a natural solution.

Well, here's one or two thoughts I have:

First and foremost, decide exactly what it is you want.

Next, draw up a long term and short term plan to determine if you can afford it.

Then, make a commitment to maintain the animals you aquire responsibily. Don't choose animals based on athetics alone. This means not making a move (or purchase) without first researching what you are doing and how it will affect your particular system.

Last, consider your personal impact on the hobby and the environment.

(Whoa! Heavy stuff!)

Dianne =:)

As a belated PS I would add that you should buy quality-and that if you can't afford a new one, shop the boards and the paper until you've found the make and model recommended to you by several oldies, who have garages full of stuff they will be happy to share-certainly their significant others will, anyway...

Hi,

I know this has been said, but I really want to emphasize it.

Patience patience patience and more patience.

A marine environment is a very complex ecosystem that takes time to build from the ground up. In the course of this process, the tank will have lots of normal/natural changes, including problem algae, before settling down into that balanced system.

As problems occur, remember that nature is working toward a balance. Give it time and don't do anything too quickly.

Good luck
Mike

It looks done, Larry. I think it is interesting that the idea here was probably to get responses more specific such as "Start with the best skimmer you can get," or "Put in a deep sand bed," but we ended up with more generalized things about what the reefer should do befor he/she ever touches a piece of equipment.

I think that's really good. It stresses the patience required and the relative enormity of an undertaking this hobby can be.

Archive this puppy.

KA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back