Some corals turning Neon Green?

meverha1

I have a 110 gallon "tall" (30 inches) tank that is lit by two Radion G4 Pros. My tank is primarily LPS but I have some SPS corals near the top of my tank.

Levels (since saying they are "normal" isn't good enough around here):
Salinity: 1.026
NO3 < 20
PO4 - Undetectable via Salifert
Alk: 8.4
Mag: 1500
Calcium: 475

I dose NoPox daily to help control Nitrate/Phosphate, Iron weekly because my chaeto won't grow without it, regardless of Nitrate/Phosphate levels, and Reef Fuel once a week.

Lighting: As stated above two Radion G4 Pros using the LPS Coral Lab program, set at 70%

Corals affected: Purple Acro, Red/Brown Monticap, Bubblegum Monticap

About a month ago I increased my lighting from 65% power to 70% power. When the lighting increased I started to see a lot of growth from the Acro, and the Red/Brown Monti. However, the Monti started to change from a dull red/brown to a vibrant neon green. I also noticed that some of the skin (under the polyps) of the Acro had started to turn Neon Green.

All other corals, including a Orange MontiCap and pink Acro are unaffected.

A few days ago I added a Bubblegum Monti to the aquarium and it has also turned Neon Green.

Is the lighting causing this or is it the iron that I'm dosing? Should I decrease the amount of "Green" in my LEDs? It's currently set at 20% (Blues/Purples/UV are 100%, Red is 20%, White 15%).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Green coloration I believe is dependent on the amount of iron.. more iron = greener colors..
Are you testing for iron levels since you are dosing it?
No need to decrease the amount of green light.

Keep working on your nitrate levels to get them down below 10

I have a similar situation with coral turning neon green once in my tank for a while. I'm not sure what the cause. I have heard corals shifting colors from tank to tank slightly. Could be lighting or nutrients. Makes it hard to go buy frags because I always have to wonder what color they will be in my tank.

Back