Some photography tips.

GroYurOwn

I have gotten a lot of questions in regards to how to take good pics of tanks. So I wanted to post a few tips here. The pics I have taken of my most recent tank (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135317) arent as good as they could be IMO simply because I dont have the lens I really need, so they can be much better.

-First I recommend preparing to shoot the tank. To this effect ambient light is your enemy. I prefer to wait until the sun goes down so that no light is shining through windows, and turning off all lights so there is no reflection on the glass. Turn off your TV too.

I have a Nikon D700, which excels in low light, but you dont need an expensive camera to shoot good pics.

-If you have a point and shoot look for a macro setting, usually this is a flower symbol. This allows the camera to focus closer than normal.

-If you use a DSLR check your lenses, many telephoto lenses have a macro switch on them. This switch locks the focus mechanism in to the best range for macro shooting. Many DSLRs bodies have macro settings as well, check your manual.

-In either case get in to your settings and find your white balance. This is EXTREMELY important. This tells your camera what "white" should look like. In general aquarium lighting is very blue, especially LED. So start by choosing fluorescent, see how that looks. If you can choose a kelvin value, choose whatever is closest to your light temp (ie 20000k, 14000k, 6500k).

-If your camera is able to shoot in RAW (most DSLRs can) DO IT. This type of file stores much more information than even the highest quality jpeg. It will allow you to tweak the white balance, exposure, hue, and many other values without losing quality or detail. I use Photoshop to open my RAW files. Upon opening the RAW file a box pops up that allows me to adjust those settings, and then open the file. I can then save as a high-res jpeg. I am not sure what other editing software allows, but if it can open RAW files you should be able to make those adjustments, since that is really the point of RAW files.

-If you can set your aperture (this is how much light your lens lets in) set it to the lowest number possible, the lower the number, the more light is let in. This does reduce your depth of field, which means backgrounds will be blurred, which makes your subject pop. Play with this setting to see if you can get a look you like. As you let less light in the lens your shutter speed goes up, which means the shutter stays open longer, which will cause motion blur if something moves, including your hand. So if you want more stuff in focus you need a higher aperature value, and probably a higher ISO, which is how fast your camera records the image (this is the same as film speed), the higher this number, the grainier your images will be. As you can see this is a balancing act!

- I always turn off my flash, it is difficult to keep the flash from bouncing of the tank. And the colors are usually not a vibrant. This is another reason to open the aperture all the way, to let in more light from the tank.

-Once your WB is set, your aperture is set, and you have all your lights off its time to take the picture. My recommendation is to try to get your lens flat against the glass. If you take the picture at an angle it will likely not be very sharp because the glass and water will distort the image, aslo if you are flat on the glass it reduces ambient light and reflections. Be careful though, I scratched my acrylic because my lens filter was turning as it was focusing and scratching. So now I keep a pinky between lens and tank. If glass you shouldnt have a problem.

-I shoot straight on, like I said, I dont like to shoot at an angle. So that means my camera lens is right on the glass and I physically move myself in front of what I am taking a picture of. Remeber you probably can zoom also, use that feature!

-One thing I notice a lot is that people do not properly focus their camera before taking the picture. On pretty much all digital cameras you must push the shutter button half way down to allow the camera to focus, most make a noise, or display something on the screen/viewfinder that indicates it has locked on (usually a small box that changes from red to green when focused). This is extremely important, do not just point the camera a mash the button. Most likely you will not be focused on your target. If you notice that the box is focusing in a different spot than you would like to you may be able to move it using the controls on the back of the camera to move the focusign area to where you need it.

-Compose your shot. I think one thing that is often missing is some composition. Even if you are artistically challenged there is a simple rule to making a shot more interesting: DONT PUT EVERYTHING IN THE MIDDLE!!! Go look at your favorite pictures that artists you admire have taken. Look at where the interesting stuff is. More often than not you will notice that the subject is often off-center. This makes the picture more interesting. If you want to learn a bit more Google "rule of thirds" and do that.

Once you have composed and properly focused, push the shutter and admire your work!

I hope this helps in some way. I know it is not at all a complete guide, but hopefully it will allow you to get another level of enjoyment from this hobby. In fact one of my favorite parts of the hobby is the photography aspect of it! Let me know if you have any questions, I am glad to talk about this stuff, as you can tell :)

Great tips. I;d also like to stress the value of manual focus, especially for fast moving fish. I always find it difficult having enough to to let my camera auto focus and take the picture itself before the fish has already moved on.

Thats true, taking pics of fish is much more difficult than coral. Most point and shoots dont allow manual focus though, so properly focusing witht he shutter button is very important for those that dont have DSLRs

thank you for the very in depth thread you posted. when i commented on the other thread i didnt mean to cause you to type all of this but thank you. I am not sure how to use all those functions on my camera but looks like i will need to get the instruction manual and play with it. I know i have a nice camera with way to many advanced features that i dont know how to use guess ill use this as a reference and have a little trial and error session, lol. thanks again

not a problem, for me it is an important part of the hobby, and i like looking at pics of other peoples tanks. There is so much beauty in the hobby, it is great when you look at it in your living room, but i know it is frustrating not to be able to share that beauty with others when your pics are sub-par.

I wanted to be able to give terms that allow people to look in their manual for something specific. You should be able to look in the manual for white balance, aperture, iso and learn how to adjust them. I would love to see some shots, you can post them here if the info helps!

out of curiosity rixhater, what kind of camera do you have?

Ya you did help point out some terms that i need to go look up in the manual and figure out how to use. My camera is a Olympus E620 it has tons of features i just need to figure out how to use them. As soon as i get some free time i will read the manual and post some pics.

rixhater -

On your camera you also have exposure compensation. Sometimes the lighting in the tank is a little tough for the meter, if you see that something is overly bright or too dark, but otherwise looks good you can use this to expose a little more or little less without changing the rest of the settings. this is found right next to your shutter button, has a plus and minus on it.

You also do have fine control over aperture, you can set the dial on the top of the camera to "A" and then crank the aperture open, page 44 of the manual will give you more detail. But you do have a macro mode as well, turn the same dial to the little flower and that puts you in macro mode.

In fact! It looks like if you set the dial to ART/SCN you can set the scene to underwater macro! I dont know what this will do, but it is worth a shot. Good luck!

well thank you very much for the help. I tried looking at the underwater mode but from what i read it was meant for literally underwater if you purchase the underwater case to put the camera in but the downside is that case cost more than the camera. I have tried the macro mode and it seems to work good i just need to mess with some of the other settings i think. i am going to try that exposure compensation and see how the pics come out.

Rather than playing with exposure compensation, take the time to learn how to use manual mode. It's actually easier and will produce more reliable results.

Im going to Echo what BlueCorn just said.

Using semi Manual modes such as AV and TV has its place/time. I do it occassionally but to me, with regards to photography they are for lack of better words counter productive.
Reason being both have their pitfalls/weaknesses and while dialing in some exp comp adresses that a little, doing so doesn't address the inherant "weakness".

If you understand that in a given situation/result you need to dial in comp (+/-), you also understand that at the root level your simply increasing/decreasing how much light is being recorded.

To whit.
If in AV and you dial in -2/3rds comp. The camera will increase SS by 2/3rds.

If in M
you can increase SS 2/3rds yourself
you can reduce ISO by 2/3rds yourself
you can stop down 2/3rds yourself
you can stop down 1/3rd gaining a little more DoF and increase SS 1/3rd. or any other combination of the three elements that results in a net reduction of 2/3rds.

The choice is yours, which and by how much.

While it would seem that using AV/TV would be the place to go/start, using them is actually better reserved for the day/time you have a fuller grasp of exposure due to the inherant weakness in both AV/TV...And that is.

The camera will automatically adjust exposure settings, even when you don't want it to.

To test this.
Set your camera to AV and metering mode to partial/spot.
Point your camera at the sky and note the SS (that which the camera sets).
Now point your camera below the horizon and note the SS. Depnding the conditions (sunny/overcast/etc) it might change your exposure by 2 or 3 full stops.

If your taking a picture of something but want to change your composition such that the horizon is in a different location.

Why would you change your settings. The light hitting the subject hasn't changed.
If in AV or TV the camera will change them for you.

Last edited:
This post was intended for those that don't want to learn all the technical lingo. Thats why I kept it simple and used terms that could be looked up in the manual. I think for a beginner, knowing that the little button next to the shutter button may help reduce the overexposure in a simple straight forward way may help them to keep from being overwhelmed.

The post was intended for people who don't know that SS would stand for shutter speed, as well as folks who have point and shoot cameras. I didn't want to get too technical because i think the technical details make some people feel like they will never get it, or that their camera isn't up to the task. I appreciate all responses, but just want to keep the intended audience in mind.

This post was intended for those that don't want to learn all the technical lingo. Thats why I kept it simple and used terms that could be looked up in the manual. I think for a beginner, knowing that the little button next to the shutter button may help reduce the overexposure in a simple straight forward way may help them to keep from being overwhelmed.

The problem is "that little button" may help with one shot but when you move the camera 1" to the left, all of a sudden the exposure is way off. It's that kind of frustration that puts folks off of this stuff.

I think when people hear "manual mode" they have horrific flashbacks to some learning to drive experience. Once you take time to learn, there is actually less to remember and you're picture quality will get better. Really.

I agree, which is why i talked about aperture priority, but people use training wheels before they learn how to ride a bike, using the shortcuts doesn't hurt while trying to learn the other stuff. The whole first portion of the thread talks about aperture and white balance, I was just mentioning the exposure compensation as an additional resource, and a feature of that user's camera.

If you have a picture composed, and you have screwed with the aperture, you like the depth of field, and the composition of the picture, but because you are a beginner you just aren't sure what to do to fix how bright it looks, you know you can dial the exposure down with a simple button push. Great! you got the shot, now go to the inter webs and try to figure out what else you could have done!

Groyurown.
No one has said using AV/TV is wrong or that your post is wrong.

I personally, strongly feel that when a beginner uses AV/TV they are inadvertantly actually making things more difficult for themselves.

In the time it takes someone to review their LCD, or histogram and dial in -2/3s, they can shoot in M and do exactly the same. (and more if they have more understanding)

6 of one, half dozen of another. Its 2 clicks on the comp dial, or 2 clicks on the SS dial.

The "pitfall" is that often, the camera will change your SS (if in AV) or f/stop and DoF (if in TV) when you wouldnt want it to. Depending on your scene/subject matter just the slightest variation in light value/reflective qualities can really change your exposure.

Im exposing for the fall colors/geese and I dont want my SS above 1/100th (intentionally aiming for just a little motion blur in the wings and BG blur through panning).

Manual
f9.0 and 1/50th
p502756487-4.jpg

If thats in AV as I move the camera around, relative to the horizon (more/less sky or treeline) my SS will change dramatically. If I follow the Geese up above the treeline, the camera will register all that bright sky and and dramatically increase the SS.

As a result drastically underexposing the Geese (fall colors in the BG).

Still Manual but I was specifically shooting for Geese above the treeline and wanted to deepen the blue sky just a hair.

1/80th
p315066643-5.jpg

If Id been in AV I can only guess but Im thinking my SS would have jumped well over 1/300th. Theres atleast 2 stops differential. The light hitting the Geese/trees hasn't changed...Just my composition.

For a bigginner they might not get that nuance for a long time, until they start shooting manual.

Its not a big deal, theres no right or wrong, its just a "tip" or an extension of what you posted.

Back