Some pictures of my recovering reef after an Alk crash (rare wrasse junkie)

GroceryGetterS4

So I had a large alk swing while I was away for a few days, and unfortunately wasn't able to get to the tank before 8-10 colonies rtn'ed, including a 4 year old blue millie colony:sad2::sad2::mad2::mad2:

90G tank, 2 gen 1 radions, apex (which isn't controlling anything but the heater unfortunately), tunze auto-topoff, reef octopus skimmer 150 super space saver, vortech mp10's.

I know the fish police will get onto me due to my choice of fish/stocking.....But it's my tank, and it makes me happy :thumbsup:

Fish List:
Blue Tang
Niger Trigger
Labouti Fairy Wrasse (couldn't get a good shot of him)
Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
Golden Rhomboid Wrasse
Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Flame Hawk
Molly Miller Blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby
Mated paid of Snowflake shotgun clowns

My picture taking skills are awful, my apologies

Here was a shot from about a year ago when everything was growing and happy:

CURRENT

Last edited:
Very nice! Sorry to hear about the crash. I had the same thing happen when I forgot to fill my alkalinity reservoir before leaving on vacation. Alk dropped from 8.5 to 5.7 while I was away and I lost most of my SPS colonies. LPS was mad for months. Since you've got Apex why not get a couple of BRS dosing pumps and dose your alk and calcium with them?

We have many of the same fish and corals(minus the Hippo)! You left out your C. jordani!

Very nice! Sorry to hear about the crash. I had the same thing happen when I forgot to fill my alkalinity reservoir before leaving on vacation. Alk dropped from 8.5 to 5.7 while I was away and I lost most of my SPS colonies. LPS was mad for months. Since you've got Apex why not get a couple of BRS dosing pumps and dose your alk and calcium with them?

We have many of the same fish and corals(minus the Hippo)! You left out your C. jordani!

Thanks! Yeah, I was pretty bummed out to have it happen. I wish I had some pictures from a few months back before the crash though. Yeah, i'm gonna invest in some nice dosers for my apex to control. Unfortunately, the flame wrasse is no longer with me, he ate like a pig, but just kept getting skinnier and skinnier (I think it was a parasite of some sort), i'll pick up another for sure, he was stunning.

How does your Niger Trigger get along with everything? Nice tank, btw. :bigeyes:

Thanks! The blue tang is the alpha of the tank, and keeps the niger in check, so he's never really messed with anything (I had a couple emerald crabs disappear, but the time they disappeared the niger was the size of a quarter, so I doubt it was him). I've had both the blue and the niger for about a year now, and they've grown quite a bit, so a 6 foot tank will be in my future for sure.

Nice tank, but I have a problem with "But it's my tank, and it makes me happy".

It is home for the fish and should make them happy.

Nice tank, but I have a problem with "But it's my tank, and it makes me happy".

It is home for the fish and should make them happy.

I'll make sure to have a pow-wow with them and ask them if they are happy. Who are we to know if they are happy? My fish are fat, colorful and thriving. They must be miserable, hunh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks fine to me for now.. no reason you can't grow fish out in a smaller tank... I've done it many times.

Back