South Florida Collecting?

manfx

Hey guys, i've got my license and all the rules printed as i read them nightly before i go to sleep as to follow the rules to the T. My question is, AS not to break any of the rules, where is allowed and where is protected and not allowed? I have been online for hours and days and still unable to find out if a certain beach or pier is protected or not. Now im sure this kind of post will rile up some of you guys and for others you will see im trying to be responsible and follow the law. I am not trying to collect a mass of things but maybe 1 or 2 little guys on the allowed list. Before you start flaming here is the link to the rules in Florida http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

I have also called a few parks and the general reception i get to "collecting fish or catching fish" is... yea u can fish here if u have your license... then i ask more specifically about harvesting tropical fish or coral and i get a who other response which is 4/5 times call the park rangers we dont know but that sounds serious. lol Is there no resource online that outlines this?

seems like something many others would want to know but is it no one will stand and ask?

You really should look for a more local forum as most won't know Florida's laws here. Let me see of I can find a link. Also, where in South Florida are you or where are you planning to collect from?

you can only collect inverts and fish .. inverts are 1/2 pint of blue legs and snails per day . fish you around allowed 5 per day ... corals NO NO you can not collect them with out a RS endorsement and fla laws are soft corals ONLY NO HARD CORALS .. i help out from time to time with a diver collector down in the fla keys collecting corals and fish .. he does hold both tags for ML and RS .. you dont want to get caught with a coral anywhere near you .. the man will own everything you used to own ..

thanks guys! yea i know no hard corals...ive been reading the rules over and over to make sure i remember once im out there and ive appointed my girl official researcher while there to make sure anything we even consider on the list. Good thing is that im not really into the hard corals.

Solid>> anywhere from Palm Beach to South Miami as im in the middle

actually ive only just found the local section of the forums...i wonder if this thread can be moved there as not to bother everyone else

only 20 total...

only 20 total...

you can only collect inverts and fish .. inverts are 1/2 pint of blue legs and snails per day . fish you around allowed 5 per day ... corals NO NO you can not collect them with out a RS endorsement and fla laws are soft corals ONLY NO HARD CORALS .. i help out from time to time with a diver collector down in the fla keys collecting corals and fish .. he does hold both tags for ML and RS .. you dont want to get caught with a coral anywhere near you .. the man will own everything you used to own ..

The recreational limit under a fishing license issued from the state of Florida is a total of 20 specimens...of which only five can be angels........

a 1/2 pint of blue legs collected under a recreational license....and a conviction......and you will be without whatever it took you to collect them ...boat.... trailer...truck....they really like Ford pickups...

lol
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Ya as Richard already said this info is wayyyy off.

FWC has all the info on the site..

No stonies.. 5 or 6 rics and 5 or 6 zoos.. Less than 1'' piece of lr per specimine.. My fwc.com has all the info.. As mentioned before if you get stopped by the man and he knows you have corals he will be very meticulous with his investigation.. But as always I got the spots!

Okay so after many hours of searching this map seems to be the only thing i can find that differentiates where is protected and not protected from any collecting. Can anyone verify or shed some light?

To my knowledge (which is limited) as long as it is not a state, federal park, preserve or sanctuary then collecting there is legal (following the rules provided by myfwc, correct?)

Attachments

• CRI05-005C_FL_Map_Sm.jpg
    CRI05-005C_FL_Map_Sm.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Almost....read all the info about how far from shore/bridges/pilings/obstructions...you can dive....differs in each area and is tricky.....there are so many regulations, is best to talk to the local FWC officer patrolling that area for info...

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

unless you have experience collecting fish at depths, experienced diver and have the right equipment (nets, catch buckets, fish deco knowledge), might be a fruitless trip for catching fish. they dont exactly just swim into your nets. best of luck....its very very challenging

c

Holdin tank on the boat...

Holdin tank on the boat...

I think there's a whole section on what equipment you'll need to keep your catch alive. I believe it is part of the requirement for legally collecting in FL.

Here's a link
http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/aquarium-species/

Yes....I forgot about that...lol...you have to have a recirculating saltwater holding tank....on the vessel ..but in this case ...is not needed to purchase from a shrimper.....and taken home, all that is needed is a trip ticket with the shrimpers MLB.....license...and your wholesale seafood license....Saltwater products license......Tax number.....and valid business license for Hillsborough County....and I am sure I have missed a few more....

LOL

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :rollface::rollface::rollface:

Back