Spots on SPS? Normal?

No other SPS have any issues. Been like that for a while.... All SPS have Polyp Extension. No flat worms that I can see...

AEFW selective to acropora species only. They are translucent on the base of the coral, so regular inspection will yield you no signs. If you run moonlights or at dusk, baste the corals with a turkey baster, blast pretty hard. In the water column, they appear white/clear, sometimes you will find on your glass in the AM, before lights on. The eggs are hard to see as well, if you have other acros, chances of infection are likely. You can live with them, so go to the sps forum and key in AEFW living with them. I did for a couple of years, still maintained healthy vibrant acros. Don't over react, some have driven themselves out of the hobby due to infestation, and going to extreme measures, while others have simply learned to live with them. Nice looking coral either way :)

Also, see if the mods can move this to the sps forum, you will get more help there, just a FYI, if interested...

I'm a fan of living with things... Like I said, I only noticed them on this one, but still colors up nicely, still encrusting. I have three wrasses... We'll see how things go. I'm NOT leaving the hobby. I'll live with it. If it kills all my sps, then softies here I come. :)

Sometimes AEFW will be happy to stick to just a couple of corals. I have lots of corals, but only a few have AEFW issues. If you can take out the obvious ones on the rock they are on, and start a schedule of dipping and basting them you can eradicate them.

The coral in the photo shows some obvious signs. If you have other corals in the tank whose color isn't what it is supposed to be, or the color is pale or brown. Those corals are probably infected as well.

Dave B

I would get a yellow coris wrasse or a Christmas wrasse. I have seen both go to town on flat worms.

I have to agree, it looks like you may have AEFW. Can you pull the frag to dip?
It is encrusted pretty heavily on some base rock. :(
I would get a yellow coris wrasse or a Christmas wrasse. I have seen both go to town on flat worms.
I have a fairy, a melanarus, and a six line, maybe I'll pick up a yellow too.
Sometimes AEFW will be happy to stick to just a couple of corals. I have lots of corals, but only a few have AEFW issues. If you can take out the obvious ones on the rock they are on, and start a schedule of dipping and basting them you can eradicate them.

The coral in the photo shows some obvious signs. If you have other corals in the tank whose color isn't what it is supposed to be, or the color is pale or brown. Those corals are probably infected as well.

Dave B

Thank you.
:)
Not many show these signs, I have a digi that doesn't have the PE it used to, but I think that is from my Flamehawk sitting on it constantly. Also, AEFW does not affect Digi's correct?

Vap,

Your Digi is safe from the AEFW.

As for the recommendation for additional wrasses. There are many types of flatworms that can appear in the home aquariums. I don't think there is any proof that the wrasses get the AEFW. I know I have bought AEFW several times and have had several of the recommended wrasses in my tank and they didn't do anything to curb the AEFW.

However if you have large colonies, and are basting the colonies in the tank, the wrasses (most types) will eat the AEFW when you blow them off the corals and they are swimming around. But when they are in the corals they are on the underside usually and very difficult to see.

Dave B

PS - Years ago there was also a rumor that the Golden coral banded shrimp would eat AEFW -- That's not true either.

Back