SPS care for advanced aquarists

The elements I am currently using in my SPS tank are, Sr, Mn, Zn, and I.

Hi JB,
is good that you highlight these 4 elements because I also think that those matter the most. Maybe I would add Boron. What I noticed is that it increased the red hue in some of my corals (The "famous" B-balance of Zeovit clams the same effect)

I think we are in agreement that getting to know what the most important elements are for SPS would be great. To that I have been trying to come up with a mix of elements to dose and some amount that seem to work. I would love for some other to try and see what kind of results they get as well. The goal is to get the dosing of elements out of the hands of companies selling us magic in a bottle and into the hands of hobbyist with a real understanding of what we are doing and why it is working. The elements I am currently using in my SPS tank are, Sr, Mn, Zn, and I.

^^^^^This^^^^^

Soon, we will have this figured out. I hope

Aaron

I would love to try this method in the future, most likely I will when we move and get a large tank which will make it easier to pay for. I am happy more people are trying this method of keeping sps and I can't wait til we have a thread filled with pictures of mature tanks run using this method.
I have been wanting to glue down the last of my corals in order to buy a lot of urchins like you suggest. Your rocks are so clean and new looking, is that all the work of urchins or is the tank still fairly new?
Lastly, is using a refugium to create glucose and actually dosing a sugar for a carbon source the same thing in the end? I can't keep algae refugiums anymore for a few reasons, but I could add a daily dose of sugar to my carbon source list. I have always admired some of the tanks that use sugar and a high amount of foods to feed the tank, they seemed to get some ama,jng a.ount of growth in certain corals.

Hi JB,
is good that you highlight these 4 elements because I also think that those matter the most. Maybe I would add Boron. What I noticed is that it increased the red hue in some of my corals (The "famous" B-balance of Zeovit clams the same effect)

Boron levels I do think are important. I just have not had to adjust them, they are always right on target on my ICP tests.

recent pictures of corals from my tank.

2016081801-2.jpg

2016081801-7.jpg

2016081801-3.jpg

2016081802.jpg

2016081804.jpg

2016081810.jpg

Joe

They are stunning, I have just addedboRon after icp and all the corals improved within 2 weeks

Bill

I used the Salifert Boron test before I used ICP and it looks to be accurate. Boron is easy and cheap to raise with Borax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your question urges me to work out the details for the 3. point "œhow sea urchins can replace siporax".

So yes, the answer for your question is that I have sea urchins!

HOW SEA URCHINS CAN REPLACE SIPORAX

As far as I see now, urchins might be a key to a well performing reef tank due to 2 reasons:
  1. One of the challenges with SPS corals is that if you want to build a natural environment for them (so not anything twisted like Zeovit) you need to promote the performance of zooxanthellae (not their density, but their ability to produce sugars). Zooxanthellae has very similar preferences to other algae so the closer you go to NSW level trace elements like e.g manganese the more algae growth you will notice on live rock. This is where sea urchins (especially short spined species like Tuxedo) will help you a lot.
  2. The other very frequent problem is that with time - even in ULNS environment - the surface of the live rock gets "œdirty". We all know that live rock is supposed to be the main place for bacterial activity including nitrification. But we tend to forget that what makes the live rock or even the reef ceramic to be a good place for bacteria is their porosity. Unfortunately in a mature aquarium detritus, coralline algae, and other "web like" algae can close the little pores on the surface of the live rock so that it becomes less and less efficient. This is again a good job for sea urchins. As they are chewing our rocks for algae they unintentionally reopen the pores and create fresh space for bacteria.
I see people buying cheap siporax from e-bay. I have no clue whether the original or their copycats are leaching any nasty stuff into the water but if the goal is to maintain strong bacterial population it may be worth to test 1 sea urchin per 25G (100L) before any investments into a new filtration method.

I have like +15 years of experience related of reefkeeping and I have just discovered sea urchins recently. I always considered them as something completely useless as long as I do not have algae problems, but now I see a new potential in their natural behavior.

Very interesting subject, what size is your tank and how many urchins do you keep normally and what other species other than tuxedo?

szathmary
These are my results using the basic principles utilising ICP tests and adding the recommended elements.No AF or Triton
bill

Aaron
My ICP test showing all levels and what to dose and the weekly maintenance for the guys that have not seen one.

Bill

Hey maxwell,

are you using triton supplements for all this microelements? If not, what are you using for each of them.

Thank you

Sergi
I use salifert strontium , triton boron and started using KZ coral system 1,2 and 4 for maintenance until i see what my next test will be like. I did not want to get into using bottles of this and that so use a small addition of the KZ products till i get the level needed.I have not tried the KZ 3 amino's i have a good number of fish and all the CUC to keep it clean.( a bit more info in my maxwell video thread) i feed a phyto mix twice a week.
Bill

Hi Pieper27

Your rocks are so clean and new looking, is that all the work of urchins or is the tank still fairly new?

My rocks are 3 years old (I bought them cured). I added urchins about 7-6 months ago.

Lastly, is using a refugium to create glucose and actually dosing a sugar for a carbon source the same thing in the end? I can't keep algae refugiums anymore for a few reasons, but I could add a daily dose of sugar to my carbon source list.

Before my refugium, I did experiment with glucose dosing. What was impossible for me to to achieve is setting up some sort of a contentious dosage. Unfortunately the study I found does not talk about the timing of this "sugaring" event. Maybe it comes in with light or even the contrary. I think that bigger dosages (like the traditional once every day) encourages the bacteria too much as opposed to set up a reliable food source for everybody - but this is really hypothetical. And without the algae you may also loose the natural "emergency stop" feature when your tank is running out of nitrogen. But I assume that many coral foods (KZ, AF, etc) already include different forms of sugars. Anyway, I look forward hearing about the progress you make with glucose dosing.

I think there are many way to keep a successful tank. Keeping nitrates and phosphate at the proper levels is a main goal of almost all these methods. From there it is about getting the proper trace elements to corals, for this forum specifically SPS. I am less concerned about N, P and the other big 3 alk/Ca/Mg as there are pretty easy to hit whatever the targets the reefer aims for.

I think we are in agreement that getting to know what the most important elements are for SPS would be great. To that I have been trying to come up with a mix of elements to dose and some amount that seem to work. I would love for some other to try and see what kind of results they get as well. The goal is to get the dosing of elements out of the hands of companies selling us magic in a bottle and into the hands of hobbyist with a real understanding of what we are doing and why it is working. The elements I am currently using in my SPS tank are, Sr, Mn, Zn, and I.

Joe.

I'm responding mainly for discussion purposes.......I'm very glad things are going well for you, if you're happy keep keepin on.:thumbsup:

I hear you and am right with you I just have issues with the accuracy of Tritons tests in regard to Mn and Zn.
How can you track micro metal elements if the tests give inaccurate readings? Have you tried to verify the results your getting as I mentioned in the other forum?

http://enclabs.com/

Are you still getting zero readings from Triton on Mn levels? Most tanks I see get zero

This is where some of my issues lie with dosing some of these micro elements. I'm okay with using Triton to back check hobbyists kits on more major elements for trending.

I believe Fe is more important that those micro metals. Glenn doesn't dose or focus on them and he's had a flourishing reef for years with his DSR(Dutch Synthetic Reef) method. He basically uses hobbyist kits and doesn't rely on ICP tests. He has plenty of Acropora in his system.

The link below shows how important Fe is.......the dino can mix/match Mn, Zn and Cu depending how much of each is available, but without good iron levels you're screwed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4744903/

What I'm getting at is someone could be dosing those micro metals maybe even overdosing and still have acros suffering/dying.
Where I'm at right now, I'm not convinced that dosing those minor trace elements is important for most Sps systems.

When I look back at the timeline and issues with your system your last test showed zero Fe just before you started the Triton system.

Long story short since your reboot I think your Arid sucks up iron, trace metals at a rapid rate stealing from the acros. So much so that your normal water changes & your calcium reactor couldn't keep up.
Everything points to that.........add Brightwell trace chaeto responds........add Triton elements chaeto responds positively again.

I don't know what Triton's basic elements have in them but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was some Fe in there.

Interestingly enough, a few of the Triton tests Ive seen with fresh mixed IO have zero Fe.

In a lot of systems with a good fish load & a calcium reactor the trace elements can be kept at sustainable levels. Or one of the commercial bio dosing systems like Bacto balance that has some trace metals in the mix. Imo, the algae filters take all that away.

This has some table that show how much Mn and Zn are some of the foods we feed our fish.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rhf/feature/

That's why I don't like Triton's basic setup............they push algae filters and if you follow it, of course those elements will be depleted as the algae filter is taking it away.

There many findings and articles that show how many trace elements are taken up by algae.

Very interesting article. Unfortunately at Triton the NSW iron level is below the detection level of the device. Reefanalitys.com claims that they use ICP-MS which - as far as I know - can detect iron at that low level.

Interestingly enough, a few of the Triton tests Ive seen with fresh mixed IO have zero Fe.

This is Tropic Marin Pro at 51,6 millisiemens conductivity
28600818543_096d6774f0_c.jpg

I don't know what Triton's basic elements have in them but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was some Fe in there.

I guess that Triton Base Elementz has iron. Algae needs it so I assume that they added it to the mix.

-------------------

What is interesting is that I found 2 ICP reports from a guy called "Damian07". I think he was the owner of the old AquaForest showtank.

This is the report (Triton) from the AF showtank:

Salinity 35psu
Kh 7,3

Heavy metals

Hg-0,00 µg/l,
Se-0,00 µg/l,
Cd-0,00 µg/l,
Sn-0,00 µg/l,
Sb-0,00 µg/l,
As-0,00 µg/l,
Al-17,95 µg/l,
Pb-0,00 µg/l,
Ti-0,00 µg/l,
Cu-0,00 µg/l ,

Macro-Elements

Na-10100,00 mg/l,
Ca-0400 mg/l,
Mg-1317 mg/l,
K-384,80mg/l,
Br- 68,58 mg/l,
B-4,79mg/l,
Sr- 8,11mg/l,
S- 762mg/l,

Li-Group

Li- 108 µg/l,
Ni 0,00 µg/l,
Mo 0,29 µg/l,

I-Group

V-0,00 µg/l,
Zn-0,00 µg/l,
Mn-38,72 µg/l,
I-22,47 µg/l,

Fe-Group

Cr-0,00 µg/l,
Co-0,00 µg/l,
Fe- 11,95 µg/l,

Ba-Group

Ba- 278,90 µg/l,
Be-0,00 µg/l

Si-165,7 µg/l
P- 0,00 µg/l
PO4 "“ 0,000 µg/l

And this is another one sampled from Australia by the AquaForest team:

Salinity 35psu
Kh 7,8

Heavy metals

Hg-0,00 µg/l,
Se-0,00 µg/l,
Cd-0,00 µg/l,
Sn-0,00 µg/l,
Sb-0,00 µg/l,
As-0,00 µg/l,
Al-17,98 µg/l,
Pb-0,00 µg/l,
Ti-0,00 µg/l,
Cu-0,00 µg/l ,

Macro-Elements

Na-11046,00 mg/l,
Ca-0455 mg/l,
Mg-1424 mg/l,
K-395mg/l,
Br- 60,12 mg/l,
B-4,17mg/l,
Sr- 5,33mg/l,
S- 1084mg/l,

Li-Group

Li- 192,60 µg/l,
Ni 4,73 µg/l,
Mo 13,55 µg/l,

I-Group

V-2,19 µg/l,
Zn-11,50 µg/l,
Mn-6,26 µg/l,
I-166,20 µg/l,

Fe-Group

Cr-0,00 µg/l,
Co-0,00 µg/l,
Fe- 0,00 µg/l,

Ba-Group

Ba- 83,64 µg/l,
Be-0,00 µg/l

Si-865,70 µg/l
P- 44,30 µg/l
PO4 "“ 0,136 µg/l

And this a rumor:
but two guys from Hungary visited Aqua Forest at their old location (they have changed offices recently) and the guy told me that there was a door left opened and he saw a big refugium... I'm not kidding. At those days he did not have any interest to lie to me about that.

Back