SPS color question

Vorog

So I have a few nice sps frags that have nice color. I was to keep them looking nice. I know and understand water quality and my sps has been doing well in growth. A few of my older frags have changed a bit in color, I had a mild pink Millie and it changed to a green and purple. It has encrusted a huge ring around it and branched off well. I just picked up some more from a fellow RC member and some from a few stores. So I have reefbreeder lights. I've turned them to more blue than a daylight white. I like color more than growth but I do have a few hours of daylight. I also dose coral colors as well and reef energy A and B. What settings do you guys run on your LED's for that awesome coloration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny. I had a few sps not coloring as brightly as I thought they would be as the original colonies. I adjusted my light schedule and stopped feeding reef fuel. Only been 2 weeks but the colors on new growth are as the should be and its coming back aaround. On the other hand I think I have a small frag of green digi that has morphed "colorwise" into a somewhat rainbow coloring. I run 2 kessil a150 20k for 11hours and 5 hours for 4 t5 coral+ x2 and a 15k red sea and 10k bulb

Last edited:
My exsperiance led especially running heavy blue will morph the coral. Remember the led blue will only pop floresent colors. The reflective colors will not show up at all under the blue light.

My exsperiance led especially running heavy blue will morph the coral. Remember the led blue will only pop floresent colors. The reflective colors will not show up at all under the blue light.

What do you mean when you say reflective?

I ran an ULNS for a while and my colors were good. I now run with about 3-5 ppm nitrates and .03-.05 phosphate and the colors are more vibrant. I get small patches of hair algae from time to time but they disappear on their own.

I ran an ULNS for a while and my colors were good. I now run with about 3-5 ppm nitrates and .03-.05 phosphate and the colors are more vibrant. I get small patches of hair algae from time to time but they disappear on their own.

Words can not describe how awesome your tank looks! The colors from your corals definitely have me wanting to have my tank look like that in time. I too have a little bit of nitrates and phosphates. My test kits say nitrates are 3ppm and phosphate .04. Which I do have a bit of cyano growing I am sure the numbers are higher than that. However back to what I was wondering, my reefbreeders should I do like a 70% blue and 30-40white? What gives good color with lights alone.

Words can not describe how awesome your tank looks! The colors from your corals definitely have me wanting to have my tank look like that in time. I too have a little bit of nitrates and phosphates. My test kits say nitrates are 3ppm and phosphate .04. Which I do have a bit of cyano growing I am sure the numbers are higher than that. However back to what I was wondering, my reefbreeders should I do like a 70% blue and 30-40white? What gives good color with lights alone.

I max my blues and whites are 35%. Last time I checked the tops of acros were in 1000 par.

That makes sense, I've always had a good balance with my blues and whites but I feel like I see other peoples tanks and the colors are amazing compared to mine. Then again, i need to just let the corals grow in and make colonies. I have noticed that running my cal at 400 all at 8-9, and mag at 1400 is a sweet spot for my tank. I do not like running my all any higher just in case of a swing. I used to use Red Sea coral pro and all was always 12-13 that's way too much

Back