SPS dying

For purposes in our reef aquarium hobby, alkalinity and KH are commonly inter-used. dKH is one form of measuring alkalinity.

I use a Salifert alk. kit, but also find that the cheaper API kits work well too.

BTW alkalinity will deplete quickly in systems that are growing(prcipitationg calcium carbonate). For each 20ppm of calcium used 1 meq/l(2.8dkh) of alkalinity will be used. lt is not uncommon for those with high growth systems to supplement bi carbonate regularly.

Thanks everyone. I went back to my two part solution supplement. The baking soda worked great. No fluctuation in Ph either. No I just sit and wait for my corals to recover. :( They look terrible. I lost a frogspawn. :(

Your welcome. ;)

IME, as long as you maintain the correct parameters, it will be a slow process and will depend on the type of coral. The slower growers tend to suffer the most and re-cooperate the slowest (if they re-cooperate at all). This is one reason why some corals should be left up to hobbyists with more experience, which I have found out the hard way. :(

Bill,

Glad the alkalinity is improving for you. I still think there may be another problem. Organics, nitrate,phosphates, toxic metal,salinity? I'm sorry to say your corals may not recover; once a downward spiral starts it often continues even when conditions are improved. . If they were mine, I would frag a few pieces and try to regrow the colonies. Cut a qaurter to a half inch into healthy tissue for frags to get ahead of the dying process. Good Luck.

Well.... I completely fragged my beautiful green mili into about 17 pieces. They appear to be doing well at the moment. The tips were so bad I could pinch them with my fingers and they would turn to dust. I am going to do my pink today. I bought an API KH kit, it tested at 10 dKH. My cal is 425. The API test kit says fresh water. Does that make a difference?

I don't know the api alkalinity test kit. I think it would make a difference.

Tropic Marin Bio Calcium maintains calcium and alkalinity. The label is misleading as there is no mention that alkalinity will rise. It is a fine supplement for maintaining calcium and alkalinity, just check out Leonardo's Formosa Forest, it's all he used.

Smatter, what do you think made my alk drop so low and my calc never drop below 420 for a cpuple of weeks??

Well I have bad news. :( neither of my milis made it. I fragged them both but they continued to loose their "flesh" until nothing was left. this was very disheartening. I can't believe it happend so quickly. All parameters are in check now. Alk is around 9 dKH, Cal is 420. All softies look fine. My caps and a couple of favias are making a slow comeback.

Back