Sps qt setup thoughts?

rogergolf66

im an addict lol
Ok so I broke down my twin 120 gal mix reef tanks. I moved all other types of corals to a different system. This new 240 I put up is for sps only. I don't think I have any pests but I am going to use a qt tank for all corals that enter this new system. I am looking for info on the best way to setup the qt tank.

Here is what I have so far. It will be for sps only. no fish or other types of corals.

Qt is a 48x18x12 tank it has 2 t5 one actinic plus and 1 abs. Also I have a true lumens pro blue led strip on the system. The lighting is much to low for sps long term but it just needs to keep them alive.

I purchased the dos automatic water changer.. So I plan to have it change 3 gal of new salt water into the 240g display and take 3 gal from the 240 display into the qt system everyday. I plan to have the qt tank with a drain as the dos moves water to the qt it will overflow into the overflow box and into a drain outside.

I do not plan to use a sump or a skimmer.

I was thinking about a marine pure bio block 8x8x4 for biological filtration. Do I even need biological filtration with no fish and the Auto water changes going on?

I will also use a heater and a fan to maintain temp to with in a couple deg. I also have a auto top off I can use on the system to maintain salinity too. I can add Kalk ATO water if u think it will be needed. I will have a large volume of corals in the beginning as I said I have 240gal with of sps corals to go through qt. I will have to do it in 3-6 stages.

I plan to dip the corals every week. I was thinking for 3-4 weeks is that long enough? Any info on this type of qt tank is welcome.

Thx

Roger

You can do red bug treatments now. Which Dr.G is claiming gets rid of acro eating flatworms as well. I have not confirmed.

You almost need to do your dips and then observe for a month or so with high power glass to make sure there are no bugs of any kind left.

Roger, I would treat for longer. Have you considered creating new frags and treating those and start over? As well as using colony for grow out in that cool shallow tank or selling it?

You can do red bug treatments now. Which Dr.G is claiming gets rid of acro eating flatworms as well. I have not confirmed.

You almost need to do your dips and then observe for a month or so with high power glass to make sure there are no bugs of any kind left.

I have watched so many I'm not sure but I will search it out and watch for the first time rematch it again :). Thx for the post. Also what is used for red bugs now since intercepted is no longer made?

Roger, I would treat for longer. Have you considered creating new frags and treating those and start over? As well as using colony for grow out in that cool shallow tank or selling it?

It's an option I guess. I will think about it

Interceptor is still made you just need a prescription from a vet. I would be curious on the dose you would use. There are different pills depending on the weight of your dog.

Interceptor is still made you just need a prescription from a vet. I would be curious on the dose you would use. There are different pills depending on the weight of your dog.

Yes I got it from a vet years ago but was told not made anymore. Ok thx cause I can start that now in the sps frag system.

Anyone have an answer on how to qt a clam? Now I have had this clam for years it's huge. Was planning just tooth brush the shell?

When I moved my snails to my new tank I used a q-tip dipped in peroxide and swabbed the shell to try and kill any hitchhikers. I would think that would work for the clam. I was just really careful not to get any onside the shell. Maybe you could brush first with the tooth brush and then peroxide after.

Are you looking to implement a dipping or whole tank treatment regimen for the quarantine? I personally use a combination of Bayer Advanced and coral revive for my SPS dip. Also, a lot of people recommend cutting new frags from the frag plug as Hitchhiker's can burrow into the porous ceramic plugs ( obviously this works better for acros s vs encrusting Montis). As for a whole tank treatment, I've used Sentinel in the past to treat red bugs with success. Good luck Roger!

Are you looking to implement a dipping or whole tank treatment regimen for the quarantine? I personally use a combination of Bayer Advanced and coral revive for my SPS dip. Also, a lot of people recommend cutting new frags from the frag plug as Hitchhiker's can burrow into the porous ceramic plugs ( obviously this works better for acros s vs encrusting Montis). As for a whole tank treatment, I've used Sentinel in the past to treat red bugs with success. Good luck Roger!

Thx I picked up interceptor today. I have used this back in 2006 with good results. For red bugs I will do whole tank. As I said I have never seen any but I am going to treat for everything before any of the sps go into the new display

Thx I picked up interceptor today. I have used this back in 2006 with good results. For red bugs I will do whole tank. As I said I have never seen any but I am going to treat for everything before any of the sps go into the new display

You dig all your inverts out?

Not yet but I will before I do the treatment

How mature is your live rock? I ask because I had fairly mature live rock that was loaded with pods. The treatment obviously wiped out my pod population, which in turn caused a decent nutrient spike. If I were to do it over, I would blast the rock with a power head after each treatment to suspend any die off, followed by an aggressive water change and mechanical filter change.

If your rock is fairly new and without a large pod population then I wouldn't worry about it.

How mature is your live rock? I ask because I had fairly mature live rock that was loaded with pods. The treatment obviously wiped out my pod population, which in turn caused a decent nutrient spike. If I were to do it over, I would blast the rock with a power head after each treatment to suspend any die off, followed by an aggressive water change and mechanical filter change.

If your rock is fairly new and without a large pod population then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thx for heads up this rock is over 5 years old so I will blow it off.

Thx

Sounds like you got the right set-up but I would add a couple more t5s as sometimes QT can last quite a while. Also the corals are already going to be stressed from dipping/inspecting etc so starving them of light might reduce your success rate. Let me know when you're ready to fill that 240. I have plenty of frags.

Back