SPS Return Pump Sizing Advice

layer3switchguy

Folks,

I currently have a Blueline 30HD as my return pump to my 54g corner reef tank. I have about a 14' vertical rise from my basement sump to the tank. Using the head loss calculator, I estimate my flow around 159GPH. Is this suitable flow for a mixed reef tank with an emphasis on SPS corals? I also have the following powerheads in my tank:

2 x Tunze 6025
1 x Tunze 6045

I estimate all told, I have about 2600 GPH of flow in my main tank. I also have a Tunze 6000 I was thinking about adding as well. Should I look to replace my return pump, or is it adequate with the number of powerheads I have? If a replacement is needed, any advice on what (pipe is 3/4" PVC) pump to get? I'm worried about microbubbles as well...

Any advice is appreciated...

L3

You are fine with what you have. Flow thru the sump is just to get your water skimmed. The water movement in the tank will be taken care of with the Tunzes. Looks like you are going to have a nice set-up. Build yourself a nice rock structure and use epoxy when you get it the way you want. If you can get your water moving in a circle in your tank and around the reef, that is ideal, IMO

Great thanks! Water moving around in a circle. Wow, nut sure how to do that. I have the 6000 mounted on one side, aimed toward the other, and the Nanostream's in each corner of the tank pointing toward each other.

Thanks again for your reply...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9864075#post9864075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by layer3switchguy
Great thanks! Water moving around in a circle. Wow, nut sure how to do that. I have the 6000 mounted on one side, aimed toward the other, and the Nanostream's in each corner of the tank pointing toward each other.

Thanks again for your reply...

Try creating a gyre by aiming all the pumps to create a circular flow pattern in your tank, it will probably be more effective.

You are good to go. I only run a Mag 5 return on my 55. This way we avoid microbubbles, lost of noise, more effective skimming, and the sump water level from getting too low. I run a Tunze 6000 and a Seio 620 in my 55. I am going to add another 6000 soon and drop the Seio. How do you like the 6045? It isnt near as wide in terms of spread as the 6000 is it?

Back