SPS spreading but not growing up

N1ceDrgn

I've got a wide variety of SPS in my tank but for some reason, it's all growing across and over things, establishing bases but it doesn't really grow vertically and branch out. The other corals in my tank, SPS, are fine and happily growing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

I've been wondering if the lighting is too much but the MH's are on a timer, limiting them to about 9 hours a day. The VHO's are on a timer as well and they're on for about 12 hours a day. I'm not sold that too much light is the issue but it's a thought.

The lighting in my tank is (2) 175W MH's, (1) 250W MH, (2) VHO's. I'm using (2) Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045's on a Tunze 7096 controller, alternating flow to mimic some wave/ current in the water.

Sometimes depends on the coral, will encrust until it feels like it'll be enough to support the weight of it as it branches out. Could also just be encrusting montiporas etc? Pics would help if you could post them also.

As for the coral's, they are almost entirely acropora. I have a firm understanding of monti's, I have been slowly weeding them out of my tank. I started with those to get used to SPS. Almost all of the other SPS I have are spreading out their bases and not really growing vertical as I said earlier. I'll take some pics in a little while and post them up.

I would suggest to wait another year and see what happens. They are growing a strong base that will support vertical growth.

For some of the acro's it's been almost a year. This is why I'm questioning things. It just seems as if there is something with my setup that isn't quite right. I understand their need for a decent base before they branch out.
I'm also getting ready to move them soon into a larger tank. So, I'd like to better understand what I need to change before they go into a new tank so I can set things up correctly.
I've been working on building my setup for a 250g tank. I'm pretty much done now, I'm only waiting on delivery of both new and additional lighting. With the new tank comes (2) more 250W MH's, (4) more VHO's and larger Tunze pumps. I'm on the fence about using their wave box as well but otherwise this will be the bulk of the setup for the new tank.

The corals are actually not in direct flow areas. The only ones that are, are near the middle of the tank where the flow from the pumps is fairly weak.
Sadly, I know they are not tabling acro's, I only wish that I did have something like that. I will say that it would be nice to have but I have never seen them in the trade, either on the west coast at distributors or in shops there or here in MN.
Now, the last question, my tank is a 125g. It's been up and running pretty much as is for just over 5 years now. I was using modified MaxiJets until my last move when I made the switch to using controlled Tunze's. The pumps are in the same location but I now have actual alternating flow, generating a small current.

Unless they've changed them, 6045's aren't controllable. Are you sure you don't have 6055's? Even a pair of 6055's on a 125g is not too much flow, you might even want to add flow.

On to your main question...I don't know. I'm struggling with the same problem. Very slow growth, tons of encrusting. I have a pair of 6105's on a 105g tank so there is lots of flow.

Try cutting the tips. Cut enough (1/4 inch or more)so that the whole tip is removed, and in a way where they are not destroyed. Then replace the tip lying sideways and somewhereelse in the tank. The new frag should grow from both ends, and in my experience faster. Also they encrust faster, and some sprout new branches from the center. I have tried this with various stags and mille's. Good Luck.

I've cut tips before, sometimes it does help encourage new growth. Some I've cut and the coral just heals up and does nothing.

I've got a wide variety of SPS in my tank but for some reason, it's all growing across and over things, establishing bases but it doesn't really grow vertically and branch out. The other corals in my tank, SPS, are fine and happily growing. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

I've been wondering if the lighting is too much but the MH's are on a timer, limiting them to about 9 hours a day. The VHO's are on a timer as well and they're on for about 12 hours a day. I'm not sold that too much light is the issue but it's a thought.

The lighting in my tank is (2) 175W MH's, (1) 250W MH, (2) VHO's. I'm using (2) Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045's on a Tunze 7096 controller, alternating flow to mimic some wave/ current in the water.

I had an sps frag do this in my tank and then it seemed over night one by one twigs started coming up. Now I there are almost 10 sprouting up from the encrusting that has taken place. It took almost 4 months before it started entrusting. One thing I did notice is that it was on a plug and once it started growing onto the liverock is when the new sprouts started showing up.

Ok, catch up time, about the Tunze's, I'm fairly sure they are 6045's, that number stands out to me. At this point though, they could be 6055's, I don't remember specifically but they are connected to a 7096 controller and alternating.
I know about cutting tips for house plants but I am not sure about trying that with the acro's. It may work but I've only ever done that when making frags and it always just healed over for me.
I've just finished with some pictures and I'll get them up in a minute. The first few will be about the corals in question. As for the rest, it's the rest of my tank as it is now, before the tear down and move.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/N1ceDrgn/27 April 2011/

in my experience the acros that just encrusted in 9/10 cases cause they had too much direct flow. If you alternate the flow, a little randomness they tend to cause more branching. Now there are some corals that I keep that put on huge bases before they grew up, purple monster, red planet to name a few. All of my other corals have grown upwards with the exception of the Tyree purple unknown(encrusting acro) and the $500 efflo which of course is plating acro. Hope that helps atleast a little.

Well, that is one of my questions, about water flow. I have a couple of acro's that get 'some' alternating flow but it's barely enough to make the polyps sway, they are the only 2 that are really branching and spreading a base. The others, most of which I have pictures of above, are doing more encrusting than branching.
The deep water, or first pic, I'm not sure how much branching it'll actually do. The other two, are supposed to be branching like mad but neither are. I have a couple others like these that are putting more into making a base rather than branching and this is something I'd like to try and figure out before I move everyone into their new home. I'd like to get things setup pretty well rather than tinkering with it more than I spend time enjoying it.

As it turns out, by decreasing the time for the MH's (around 6 hours) and lowering the temperature in the tank (down to 77F). I've been able to spark growth from the SPS. It's been a while now and pretty much everyone has decided to start growing. So, this might be settled, or, as far as my tank goes. I hope this information helps others.

As it turns out, by decreasing the time for the MH's (around 6 hours) and lowering the temperature in the tank (down to 77F). I've been able to spark growth from the SPS. It's been a while now and pretty much everyone has decided to start growing. So, this might be settled, or, as far as my tank goes. I hope this information helps others.

Interesting, do you think your sps were getting too much light? What lights are you running and what type of reflectors? Why did you suddenly decide to change the temp as well, along with the MH duration? Good to hear everythings turned around for you!

It came down to discussions with a friend of mine about it. By reducing the MH duration, to simulate sunlight more (only a few hours) and decreasing the temperature to simulate the temps in their natural environment all appeared to work well together. In a matter of a couple of weeks, I started to see new growth.
As for lighting, I'm using (2) 175W and (1) 250W MH's all of which are 10K. I offset this light with (2) VHO's.

Back