SPS tissue loss help

Snookster

Since I've been fighting a nasty cyano war for the last couple pf months, last week during some intense cleaning during a water change, I think I might of stirred up a nasty or something. I moved a rock to get behind and so some cleanup. Also vacuumed the sandbed on one side. Since then, starting in the area of the rock I moved, I'm losing any SPS in that area. Seems to be radiating outward to others. I'm also seeing PO'd zoas and faded colors on the non-loss SPS. I've added a large amount of carbon to the reactor since and have changed another 20% water. The die off is still happening, although slower. I've fragged some of everything and hope it survives. Params are all inline, PH is hanging around 8. I'm going to keep doing large water changes every other day and hope for the best.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this and did you find the culprit? And on that thought - does chlorine or chloramine show up as TDS? (I did just change the membranes and filters)

Ah man. I'm sorry to hear about this. Imagine you might've had an ammonia spike from the sb...? If it were me, I'd be doing the same thing. Fragging and consistent water changes. Good luck.

Depending on how deep and old the sand bed is, My guess is when you stirred up the sand bed you released some of the toxic gases (nitrogen sulfied) that can form in a DSB. When you released the gases they made there way into your water colum. Did u notice any sulfer odors when this happened? If this is the case your best bet is to run extra carbon and gfo, change socks daily, and continue with the water changes. You may also want to add some additional aeration to help speed to detoxification along.

If you have good di you are good on the chloramine removal. Standard carbon blocks do nothing to chloramines unless you have a lot of them.
Where was your alk at when you did your winter clean?

If you have good di you are good on the chloramine removal. Standard carbon blocks do nothing to chloramines unless you have a lot of them.
Where was your alk at when you did your winter clean?

It was around 8dkh according to salifert

Back