Stand alone AC

golfish

Team RC
Happy Friday to all....
My tank is an in-wall tank that sits in the closet under the stairway to the 3rd level of the house. I'm thinking about sticking a stand alone AC unit in the closet for those hot days and also let me run my 250 watt HQI bulb a little longer. Plus they're also dehumidifiers...
There's another small closet right next to tank closet that used to house the HAVC unit but we moved that up to the attic. The exhaust vent is still there so I can run the exhaust from the stand alone right to it, about 6 feet away.

Has anybody done anything like this? It sounds like a good idea....what do ya think?

How big is the closet? I would find a way to run a duct/line from the existing A/C unit. You could probably work something out with the closet next to its HVAC ductwork.

Does a window AC drip water? How about using a split AC unit?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Please elaborate....

fishgate, the temp isn't an issue when the AC is running. It's just those days when you don't need the AC running for the house but the tank temp can't be controlled by just fans..

I did a little more looking at those "Stand Alone" units. I didn't realize those little things used so many amps. I think 8 was the smallest I could find. That's more then my Aqua logics 1/3 chiller. (I've got to sell that thing)

I think I'm going to buy one for my little downstairs bed room. I'll give it a try and see what happens

I'm not sure what you mean here. Please elaborate....

fishgate, the temp isn't an issue when the AC is running. It's just those days when you don't need the AC running for the house but the tank temp can't be controlled by just fans..

I did a little more looking at those "Stand Alone" units. I didn't realize those little things used so many amps. I think 8 was the smallest I could find. That's more then my Aqua logics 1/3 chiller. (I've got to sell that thing)

I think I'm going to buy one for my little downstairs bed room. I'll give it a try and see what happens

A/C units do use a lot of power. You will see it on your electric bill.

Air conditioners also act as dehumidifiers. An air conditioner will create a large amount of water that condenses off the A/Cs cooling coils. That water either needs a drain or may have a reservoir that needs to be emptied. Window air conditioners drip water out of the window opening. Room/portable systems would most likely have a reservoir that needs to be emptied.

The air conditioner you will get will have provisions for this it is just something to be aware of.

Back