star board or black acrylic for bare bottom?

I am slowly removing my sand bed in my sps tank. Probably gonna take a few months. But was looking on opinions-thoughts on using star board or getting some hdpe black acrylic to protect my glass. I guess I also need to know where to get the star board. I think I can find the acrylic locally but not sure on star board.

I guess I really don't like the idea of having 100 ponds of rock laying right on to of glass. But I suppose probably won't hurt anything.

I guess I really don't like the idea of having 100 ponds of rock laying right on to of glass. But I suppose probably won't hurt anything.

Why? The water weighs more than the rock and the rock weighs less than that in water. The risk is way over stated.

I run bare bottom and do not have any thing between the rocks and the tank bottom. The bottom of my tank is almost completely covered on coralline and my tank has only ben filled since April.

Ok. Thanks for all the help. Yeah I suppose it won't take long for coraline to cover since everything else is already. Bare glass it is then.
Thanks everybody

Jeremy

I run BB with the rock on the glass directly. I've never had an issue. I've used starboard in the past and liked it, but its an extra cost. I'd rather buy a coral. :)

Be very carefull with star board. As the mfg has made some changes. A lfs a d myself used it in two tanks and they quickly started to decline. We both removed the star board and both saw immediate improvement.

Be very carefull with star board. As the mfg has made some changes. A lfs a d myself used it in two tanks and they quickly started to decline. We both removed the star board and both saw immediate improvement.

what did they change? any idea what it was leaching?

Back