Starboard ?? Where to get?

Husky_1

Premium Member
Hey everyone, since I am drilling my tank today, I thought that I would go barebottom. I really hate the build up of stuff on the sand.
Since my glass is only about 1/4" I was thinking about using starboard.What does everyone think?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some locally? Preferably Palm-Beach or North Broward would be best.

I do not even know what this stuff is, is it something like plexi or is like a composite? If so, should I have the place cut it, or is it something I cut it with my jigsaw?

Also, any other suggestions for reinforcing the bottom would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dale

Have you ever seen a white plastic cutting board? If so, that's the same material that we call starboard. I believe the plastic is known as HDPE (high density polyethylene).

*Don't assume that all cutting boards from Target/Walmart can be dropped in a tank. Some are treated with antimicrobial agents, and these will cause massive problems if put in a reef tank.

You should be able to get HDPE/Starboard from plastic shops or boat shops. Perhaps someone else will chime in with a specific suggestion.

i ordered a piece of 1/4" HDPE from USplastics.com

it was like $30 and i have a good chunk left over after i cut the piece for my tank.. havent figured out what im gonna use it for,, but if it will fit your tank, you are welcome to buy it... but i leave the country tuesday and im pretty booked all day sunday and monday night... so the sooner the better...

also, i cut mine with my dremel... just like i modded my 6025, and did all kinds of other stuff... well worth the investment IMO

prospect plastics sells all thicknesses of it up to 1 1/2 i think.

ive bought a couple pieces for my boat, they cut it exactly to the size you need you only pay for what you need.

i ordered cutting boards on-line and cut to size around my overflows. works great, they come in various sizes.

Hey R00onmac,I appreciate the offer, but I think you are a tad too far away for me. I will probably give prospect plastics a holler since they are right by work.

Jeff, I have already done that once with siliconeII, so thanks for the heads up.

Bawla, I will give them a call.

What thickness does everyone normally go with? What colors?

Back