Starry Blenny

Poopapotamus

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this... My starry blenny has decided that he is a carnivore. He avoids all herbivore offerings, I have tried a couple of different brands of herbivore pellets as well as nori and another type of seaweed... he ignores them all, and if he does grab one of the pellets by accident (I have a mixture in my automated feeder) he immediately spits it out. If I put blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, clams or meat based pellets in the tank... he goes bonkers for it!? I am a little worried that if I cant find something for him to eat that it could be bad for him in the long term? I know the pellets do have a portion of algae and other vegetable matter in them, so I guess he is getting a small amount of vegetable matter through them. Is this something I should worry about, or should I just let him be him? I should say that he appears healthy and is not losing weight or anything so far... I've had him for about 6 months.
Thanks
Ron

If he is scraping algae off the rocks and sand I wouldn't worry.
Hikari makes a frozen food which I believe is called mega marine algae which is looks like a combo of krill and greens which my herbivores really like.
Myles

If he is scraping algae off the rocks and sand I wouldn't worry.
Hikari makes a frozen food which I believe is called mega marine algae which is looks like a combo of krill and greens which my herbivores really like.
Myles

Hey Myles, thanks for the reply... He doesn't really seem to be interested in grazing on the algae on the rocks too much. As for the food I have tried New Life Spectrum AlgaeMax, which contains krill as well... he hates it. Having said that these are pellets, and you are talking frozen. I will poke around and see if I can get some, but I highly doubt there will be any local as I live in a small community.
Thanks Again
Ron

You can get it on line if your lfs won't order it for you. I looked at the ingredients and sea algae and sea urchin are the first two listed followed by several different "meaty foods" and spirulina.
Good luck with your blenny.
Myles

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this... My starry blenny has decided that he is a carnivore. He avoids all herbivore offerings, I have tried a couple of different brands of herbivore pellets as well as nori and another type of seaweed... he ignores them all, and if he does grab one of the pellets by accident (I have a mixture in my automated feeder) he immediately spits it out. If I put blood worms, mysis, brine shrimp, clams or meat based pellets in the tank... he goes bonkers for it!? I am a little worried that if I cant find something for him to eat that it could be bad for him in the long term? I know the pellets do have a portion of algae and other vegetable matter in them, so I guess he is getting a small amount of vegetable matter through them. Is this something I should worry about, or should I just let him be him? I should say that he appears healthy and is not losing weight or anything so far... I've had him for about 6 months.
Thanks
Ron
Hi! I had a starry Blenny that hitchhiked on live rock I got, he only had one fin. I had him for several years, and he only ate Mysis. He never ate algae off if rocks, or from a clip. He was fat, healthy, and happy until he died of old age....I wouldn't worry at all.....

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Are you sure that he's a starry blenny? Do you have a picture? The only reason that I raise this question is that often, fish stores misidentify the blennies that they sell.

BTW, it he's eating, then he will be fine ;)

I had a starry blenny years ago that did the same thing! He lived a long life and hopefully is still alive.
So he was a character. Not only did he decide he was carnivorous, but decided he was king pen and would attempt to chase my biggens around.. my fangs, rabbitfish,etc. They put up with him... hah!
I wouldn't worry a second about it!

Back