Starter Fish in a New Reef Tank

JKC67

Had my 130 gallon reef tank going now for a few weeks, included live sand and live rock and water quality is good and has been stable for over a week now. The only inhabitants I have in there are a few Algae crabs. This coming weekend I intend to put some fish into the tank and wanted some advice as to what are the best fish to start off with. So far every book I have read and every person asked has given me different advice. Ultimately I want to have a reasonably peaceful community of fish (I have a 6 year old - so Nemo and his pals will have to be in there!) and inverts.

So just looking for your advice on what fish are best to introduce first and how many can I introduce at the same time?

Thanks

JOn

wee

wee

go for firefish or any cute gobies, or if you want add some tangs or a school of chromis would be nice. after you QT your fish add then 1 fish per one week or two. if you add a tang add them together so that both can look for its territory. happy reefing (^^,)

Thanks for the above.

Tanks been mature for quite a while now, Live Rock and crab's only been in there for about 2 weeks and waters now good quality and stable.

So bearing in mind all this - at the outset how many fish can I put into a 5 x 2 x 2 tank at once ? Should they all be the same type of fish or can I get say a pair of young tank bred clowns, a couple of firefish and a couple of chromis ?

Thanks

Jon

Clowns were the first fish I put in my tank when it was new. Start with the least aggressive & work your way to the more aggressive.

Back