Starting an 80 Build

TyWynn

This reef tank thing is starting to consume me all my free time and money! So naturally, I want a bit more real estate than my current 20 gallon nano has to offer. I have an 80 gallon I'm about to set up, but still missing a lot of things.

I'm looking to building my own LED lights, can anyone provide a suggestion of where / what brands of DIY LED lights I should look into?

Also, if anyone has sump for sale let me know!

Cheers!

Yay, you're doing it lol.
For diy I always hear good things from Build My LED.
I've bought the cheap LED diodes from eBay but they don't last very long even though I water cooled then and kept then at 50%.

I have a 20 long you could use as a sump if you'd like.

Yay, you're doing it lol.
For diy I always hear good things from Build My LED.
I've bought the cheap LED diodes from eBay but they don't last very long even though I water cooled then and kept then at 50%.

I have a 20 long you could use as a sump if you'd like.

Thanks Tony! Yes your comment put me over the edge. LOL

I'll check out the Build My LED. I'll probably end up spending a bit more for the nicer LEDs because I'm lazy to change them out later. I'm looking for one of the sumps with baffling and such. But I may take you up on it if my budget expires before I can get all of it.

Baffling a sump isn't too difficult, I baffled mine on the 180. You may look into grabbing a 40b from petco during the gallon sale or one from one of the local members here. One seems to pop up every week or so and I can say without a doubt it is the best size for a dump I've used.

Baffling a sump isn't too difficult, I baffled mine on the 180. You may look into grabbing a 40b from petco during the gallon sale or one from one of the local members here. One seems to pop up every week or so and I can say without a doubt it is the best size for a dump I've used.
When is the next Petco sale? A 40B is a good size for a sump but idk about a dump [emoji16]

How big of a sump can you fit under your tank Ty?

So here's what I have going on so far with the 80 gallon (40 x 26 x 18 peninsula) build.

- Radion XR30 (2)
- Vectra M1 (2) - one for return, one for closed loop
- Ghost Overflow
- 30 x 18 x 16 sump
- 20 gallon tall refugium
- Bubble Magnus skimmer (not sold on keeping it)

I'm still debating if I want to build a wood stand or get one made of metal. Awaiting for a few quotes on the metal ones before deciding. Also will get an RO/DI, ATO, and heater after I get the tank up and running. I will eventually get a calc reactor or dosing pump, but don't think I need that to get things going now. I would like input on the follow:

1) Should I get an Apex or Reefkeeper now or I can get the tank going and worry about it later?
2) Should I plumb in canister filters? What are the pros/cons?
3) Do I need a chiller? My house temp usually does not go above 78* summer, not sure how much heat will be in the system.
4) Will lighting be sufficient for SPS? Considered added 2 T-5 bulbs, but didn't want to overkill it (is there such a thing?).

Any tips would be appreciated and let me know anything I'm overlooking or just missed.

Thanks!

1) Should I get an Apex or Reefkeeper now or I can get the tank going and worry about it later? Not Required to get started, can add later
2) Should I plumb in canister filters? What are the pros/cons? I would not, I started off with a canister before I went with a sump, just something I had to clean almost daily due to nitrates, IMO not worth it
3) Do I need a chiller? My house temp usually does not go above 78* summer, not sure how much heat will be in the system. I do not run a chiller and keep my house at 77, only time will tell if you need one, you can always add later

See my answers in red

1. Keep the money for your stock or extra equipment
2. I don't have very much experience with canister filters, what are you planning on putting in them?
3. I keep my house at 76 and my tank doesn't go above 81. Just add more water movement or a fan if you need, which you probably don't.
4. I've seen plenty of SPS builds with Radions that do really well, but personally I like to supplement T5s.

How are you thinking of running a closed loop in the 80?

1. Keep the money for your stock or extra equipment
2. I don't have very much experience with canister filters, what are you planning on putting in them?
3. I keep my house at 76 and my tank doesn't go above 81. Just add more water movement or a fan if you need, which you probably don't.
4. I've seen plenty of SPS builds with Radions that do really well, but personally I like to supplement T5s.

How are you thinking of running a closed loop in the 80?

The tank has four holes drilled at the bottom I'm doing to use 2 as drains and 2 as returns to one of the Vectras (tee off drains and return). I originally planned to out a sea swirl or something but the vectra has wavemaking mode so that'll suffice. The holes are drilled 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I haven't decided how I will set them up.

Back