Starting new tank

pro2be

Hi there I'm going to be starting my 1st reef aquarium, I have and am still doing as much research as I can. I currently have a 3yr old planted aquascape which has ran almost flawlessly for that time. Will the already substantial beneficial bacteria present live in a saltwater tank or do I just have to begin the nitrogen cycle again? I'm going to be running a fx6 with alfafrog and biohome ultra (no sponge) and a separate smaller filter to surface skim and filter with fine filter mesh, which I can easily renew weekly. Does this sound an efficient filtration method? Thanks

Freshwater nitrifying bacteria (FNB)are different than saltwater nitrifying bacteria(SNB).

Biological Filtration​

The nitrifying bacteria in fresh and salt water are closely related, but slightly different. The freshwater bacteria are good for spiking a brackish tank, but a different strain of bacteria needs to colonize saltwater aquariums. Seeding aquariums with freshwater bacteria will speed up the process of cycling the new saltwater tank nonetheless.

Freshwater nitrifying bacteria (FNB)are different than saltwater nitrifying bacteria(SNB).

Biological Filtration

The nitrifying bacteria in fresh and salt water are closely related, but slightly different. The freshwater bacteria are good for spiking a brackish tank, but a different strain of bacteria needs to colonize saltwater aquariums. Seeding aquariums with freshwater bacteria will speed up the process of cycling the new saltwater tank nonetheless.

Hi there I'm going to be starting my 1st reef aquarium, I have and am still doing as much research as I can. I currently have a 3yr old planted aquascape which has ran almost flawlessly for that time. Will the already substantial beneficial bacteria present live in a saltwater tank or do I just have to begin the nitrogen cycle again? I'm going to be running a fx6 with alfafrog and biohome ultra (no sponge) and a separate smaller filter to surface skim and filter with fine filter mesh, which I can easily renew weekly. Does this sound an efficient filtration method? Thanks

Ok that great news at least it will help in some way. I really want to get off on the right foot and appreciate I will need to upgrade to a sump in the long run but this gives me the opportunity to start now and begin the transition. Thanks very much for your reply

A sump is convenient but IMO not 100% necessary...I have a 75G no sump and just setting up a 120 no sump. Running FX6's on both tanks, with HOB skimmers

Welcome to RC!

I personally don’t run canister filters however I’ve seen a significant number of nice tanks run with them. I have no clue about the filter media being used though

Back