starting over again

jeffnsa

well, i have decided to start over again with a reef tank but i'm going to try something different this time. every bit of rock will come from someones tank or be man made, sand also. i am going to use tap water ,no rodi, and the tank will house only 3-4 fish in a 50 gl. i will use a 30 gl refugium with lots of macro to help produce lots of pods to see if it can become a self sustainable system with no feedings. lighting will be t-5 and i will use no skimmer just 2 powerheads and maybe an old emperor filter to hold carbon in. all frags and fish will be tank raised. i am just curious to see if i can do it and have a health reef tank.

any sugestions or comments from yall would be great and welcome.

The tank is not large enough to sustain life all on its own. We can do our best to auto mate or to make self sufficient but there will always need to be some involvement from the owner in order to maintain a system.

yep thats why we all have these things we use to help us out such as skimmers and ro/di units. if we didnt need em most of us wouldnt have em

i will have to feed on occasion but with a very low bioload this should be reduced to almost nothing. i have had skimmers and used ro/di in the past but then things became too cluttered up and the more complicated it became the less that i enjoyed it. i remember reading on hear someone had a tank that they never fed the fish and they were the healthiest looking fish i had ever seen.

i just want to go back to the basics and see how well a very simple tank can be maintained and still look good.

When i read this i just imagined youre tank in the future and basicly i saw death. tap water?really? Well go ahead and try im always intrested in others failure.

why would it be a death trap? and tap water was used for years before anyone used ro/di. just because you do something different doesn't mean it won't work. if everyone did the same thing in this hobby it never would have gone forward.

when i first started in saltwater, i used tapwater for over a year with no skimmer,ro/di, or ozone, and i had a great soft coral tank. (pc lights). when i added all the other equipment i started having problems with different corals and algea outbreaks. i believe with more equipment you start to overdo things thinking that all the other equipment will clear it up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13960918#post13960918 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jeffnsa
why would it be a death trap? and tap water was used for years before anyone used ro/di. just because you do something different doesn't mean it won't work. if everyone did the same thing in this hobby it never would have gone forward.

when i first started in saltwater, i used tapwater for over a year with no skimmer,ro/di, or ozone, and i had a great soft coral tank. (pc lights). when i added all the other equipment i started having problems with different corals and algea outbreaks. i believe with more equipment you start to overdo things thinking that all the other equipment will clear it up.

well you go ahead and try but you need to put up pictures. also do you have a list of fish you want to put in? oh and if you look back when everyone used tap you notice the tanks arent nearly as nice. they made the evolution into ro/di for a reason, just sayin.

I use tap on my 120 gallon. No problems. My tank will be a year old this March. I did test my water to check for impurities. Everything came out at 0 or the acceptable range.

i'm only going to keep softies and some lps in the tank, no sps. also i have seen some gorgeous tanks that used tap water and skimmers and rodi and other such equipment are mainly used because most people overstock their tanks and also overfeed. i just need to remember to take my time.

I can see getting back to the basics and going low-tech, but why no skimmer? The principles are very low-tech (adhesion on bubbles, right) and you aren't putting additives into the system.

A skimmer will help you reduce the maintenance on your tank, which is I think what you are looking for.

If you select your corals and fish right, and stock low, you could have a successful low maintenance system.

What made you go anti-tech? Just curiosity?

I have a 55 sorta reef with a lot of live rock, several species of macro in the display, and some hardy corals (Turbinaria, gorgonian, lots of cabbage leathers, Porites, zoanthids and mushrooms).

Set-up:
shallow sand bed
~75 lbs live rock
Rena smartfilter (running empty, for circulation)
CPR BakPak skimmer
CPR Aquafuge refugium (with chaeto, lit 24/7)
1 powerhead
4 x 65-watt PCs (I'd go with T5s if doing it again)

The tank is stable and established. It's pretty heavily stocked, so it IS fed every day, and it's a struggle to stay ahead of nuisance algae. With a lighter load of fish, I think this tank might approximate what you are looking for.

I have:
green wolf eel blenny - about 4 years
2 seahorses - had 3 years and 1 year
reticulate boxfish - less than a year
marine betta - less than a year

I do water changes about every 2-3 weeks, usually 5 gallons at a time. I clean out the skimmer collection cup as needed, usually just once or twice a week. Top off as necessary, every few days to once a week. I feed twice daily, seahorses need it and the other fish appreciate it. But less fish bioload would result in less frequent feeding.

plenty of people do fine with tap water for their tanks, just depends on the quality of your local water. have you checked your municipal water test?

Last edited:
Very good luck to you, please post pics of the process!

As for the whole water issue, I think it depends on the area. My area puts chlorine and fluorine in the water, and our house has copper pipes, so it wouldn't be a good idea for me to use it.

the san antonio water isn't the greatest but it did a great job for over a year on my first tank, my biggest problem was that i overloaded it quickly.

i now have a 40gl tub that i will use as a refugium and will have a few mangroves growing on one side of it, and calurpa and cheato growing on the other. i recieved a flasher wrasse from someone breaking down their tank along with some snails and hermits so the tank now has life in it.

i'm not using a skimmer because i just don't want one. i have seen quality tanks that don't use one and it is just an experiment to see how well quality can be maintained with minimal equipment.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14133205#post14133205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kristin23
Tap wont work.

Some may depending on the filtration in your area. I did keep a 50 gallon system with sps with conditioned tap water for just about a year and everything was fine. Best of luck

Back