STILL LIKE YOUR-Gyre XF150 ???

Yeah now that the new Ecotechs are coming out, a good idea might be to combine one planar flow with a mp40qd? The MP60 are just ridicolously priced, i think almost double the price as a mp40, but doubt it can be double the performance.

Hope its ok to discuss this here, but its good to look at options and talk about them..

Ordered a Gyre and waiting for it to come..
Some ppl say it DOESNT reach every little corner while others say it cleans the bottom everywhere more than any directional streamer ever could.

I guess it deepens on how the scape is?
which lead back to the question of combining with a mp40 hihi...

Finally, someone told me its far more natural flow from a gyre than from these streamers.

Yeah now that the new Ecotechs are coming out, a good idea might be to combine one planar flow with a mp40qd? The MP60 are just ridicolously priced, i think almost double the price as a mp40, but doubt it can be double the performance.

Hope its ok to discuss this here, but its good to look at options and talk about them..

Ordered a Gyre and waiting for it to come..
Some ppl say it DOESNT reach every little corner while others say it cleans the bottom everywhere more than any directional streamer ever could.

I guess it deepens on how the scape is?
which lead back to the question of combining with a mp40 hihi...

Finally, someone told me its far more natural flow from a gyre than from these streamers.

What products is Ecotechs coming out with ?

The comment about the MP60 i would not agree with. I have one of each the 40 and 60 currently on my tank.

The MP60 is a world apart from the 40.

Would buying a gyre be overboard if i have a FOWLR? I just like the concept of having to buy only one powerhead instead of 2.

I don't think so. Turning the water over is important for the biological process, movement around the rock (assuming you have live rock) and fish also love water flow. We can watch about any tank, or video's of the coral reefs, that the fish like pointing their heads right into the current.

That's where I like the idea of the wide spread of the Gyre vs linear flow like from normal powerheads/wavemakers.

reelredfish, I have peninsula tank too. I run MP40's on both sides of overflow and a gyre x130 on center of overflow as high as I can go. Helps move surpface water up top and has no problem bouncing off the glass 4 ft away.

I'm planning to place mine on the overflow like you've done. Do you see any issue with waste getting into the overflow?

I like the idea of the Gyre and flow is good on my 6ft 200 when it works. Good concept but poor execution IMO with cheap Chinese parts. After some experience with Jebao I think Jebao was better quality.

1) Needs cleaning frequently. If any plant or other matter in the tank it clogs fast. A royal pain to put back together. Sometimes it works or you may find yourself redoing several times to get it to work.

2) Rotors are poor quality. On two separate occasions it started making noise and when disassembled blades had actually snapped off.

3) The drive grommet/cog are just bad. They are prone to push through and fall in and/or push the grommet inside the rotor where its pretty close to impossible to retrieve in one piece. I also had one strip itself and of course there are no spares included. I ordered a couple more along with two new rotors and one side still does not work right. I spent $50 on parts when I should have returned the thing.

4) They do seem to be making some improvements. The new drive cogs I got now have flanges on the outside to keep them from falling through the grommet and to better position it.

5) If Jebao copies it then it will likely be a big improvement over this thing.

6) Oh yeah "it gets quieter after break in". What BS anything over 60% and its pretty loud especially being the whole things under water.

7) I knew this from the start but typical of Maxspect no external control like apex. The controller is just ok but my real peeve is the feed mode where you have to cycle through all modes to get to feed. Pause even for a split second on a mode and when feed finishes it won't return to original mode.

8) Even at a decent depth it tends to be a great micro bubble generator. It pulls down a vortex from the surface and blasts micro bubbles pretty frequently.

It is funny because I had no issues with mine and I was a beta tester.. They were loud but only in pulse mode the new pads they ship with fixed the issue.

They have fixed most issues now. They have new blades that are stronger.

If you are getting micro bubbles you are installing the cases wrong.

Other issue is yea they do need to be cleaned or they slow down, But they need to be taken completely apart including taking the motor out. If this is missed they start to slow down. I thought mine was going out till I took the motor out. I was taking the blades and cleaing them etc but not taking the motor out which is explained in a video.

I do agree they are a pain to put together. Getting the case right is sometimes confusing.

This is the next step in flow though..

In early days we had maxi jets which put out flow but in small diameter. You could put nothing in front of them. Then came Tunze and Votech with propeller pumps which spread it out a little more. The Gyre spreads it out even more with out a loss in flow.

It is amazing how my corals especially Gorgonia react to them.

I am just waiting for the wireless version so I can use two opposite of each other.

Last edited:
I have one on my 150 and it is unmatched in regards to flow. It is also silent compaired to other pumps and way quieter than my Tunze wave maker on my 65gal. I am completly sold on the Gyre. As a side note I put mine on a simple timer for night mode. Never had an issue.

I have 3 gyre FX150s, and love them. No broken blades or problems cleaning them. Love the laminar flow and my SPS are loving it too.

Back