STN after coral electocution

adova

Premium Member
I had an accident a couple of days back where my Kessil LED canister fell into my frag tank. The light did not seem affected and I went about my life. Within 12 hours the water was getting cloudy and two of my corals were bleaching (everything in the tank is a mini-colony).

I did a 100% water change and removed the dead corals. Now, one colony that looked fine before is starting to STN pretty quickly.

The only other note is that there is a lone Paly in then the tank as well. Just mentioning in case it could be releasing toxins and causing issues.

Any recommendations?

Shawn

Well, the visual condition of the water was pretty bad with a silt from the dying tissue covering everything. Not sure how the water swap could have contributed as I did that after the damage had progressed considerably.

Anyways, with no other feedback, I cut all of the stalks above the tissue damage and mounted them on plugs and they seem to be doing pretty well.

I just meant contributed to the ATM, not the cloudiness. Sudden changes have shown to cause STN and RTN. It may not be the primary cause, but may have added further stress to an already stressful situation. But what done is done. Just have to hope those frags survive.

Man, that sucks, OP. Hope for a good recovery. I've done a 100% water change and luckily all went well. Hope your WC will help.

Last edited:
I just meant contributed to the ATM, not the cloudiness. Sudden changes have shown to cause STN and RTN. It may not be the primary cause, but may have added further stress to an already stressful situation. But what done is done. Just have to hope those frags survive.

Agree with this....

Agree with this....

+1 the 100% W/C wasn't a great move. Im a freak about contamination, so the first thing I would have done would be to run carbon after the light fell in.

I am not familiar with kessils apart from seeing them, but I am guessing there is some circuitry in there, so thinking of flux residue, other chemicals from manufacturing etc etc would start making me a bit anxious if it fell into the tank.

Im not familiar with electrical current killing coral, not saying it can't, just have not read much on it. Have read that running low current can make some corals grow faster though (spslvr's bad #$% SPS farm he has down under).

Something makes me think that possible chemical contamination from the light causing the initial issues.

Could be wrong, just hypothesizing

I'm honestly skeptical that the tank was shocked in the first place. If it was, that means the fixture shorted out, and that likely would have fried the kessil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

100% water change is the way to go when it's cloudy, any amount of trace ammonia left in the water is 1,000x worse than the "shock" of exposing SPS to water that isn't actively killing them. It's true that sudden changes can be bad for SPS, but cloudy crashing water will absolutely kill SPS, no brainer.

He did say stuff was starting to bleach 12h after the light fell in the water, but nothing about ammonia.
I really do think this is possible chemical contamination from the light falling into the water. I agree with Horace, if the light still worked I doubt it emmited current into the water as it would have more than likely fried the Kessel.
Corals were obviously ticked off by something in the water and I think it was something that leached from the submerged kessil. My course of action would have been carbon and 25% w/cs for the next few days.
Very sorry to hear about your loss OP, tank crashes are such a drag.

100% water change is the way to go when it's cloudy, any amount of trace ammonia left in the water is 1,000x worse than the "shock" of exposing SPS to water that isn't actively killing them. It's true that sudden changes can be bad for SPS, but cloudy crashing water will absolutely kill SPS, no brainer.

I had cloudy water for months in an SPS tank of mine. The causes can be multiple, it's most certainly not exclusive to ammonia and in this case, very unlikely from the storyline that was presented. In my case, I had continual bacterial blooms. A 100% water change is never something I would recommend as it will almost certainly result in a cycle. If one is necessary, you're in a situation that probably warrants a temporary quarrintine and reboot.

i had cloudy water for months in an sps tank of mine. The causes can be multiple, it's most certainly not exclusive to ammonia and in this case, very unlikely from the storyline that was presented. In my case, i had continual bacterial blooms. A 100% water change is never something i would recommend as it will almost certainly result in a cycle. If one is necessary, you're in a situation that probably warrants a temporary quarrintine and reboot.

+1

Back