Stocking a BIG tank

BTTRFLYGRL

I am so excited! I am going to be ordering a 96x24w20h !! It will take 4-6 weeks so I have a few things to figure out. I will be combining my 90 and 125 tanks. I may have to find a couple of fish new homes as I don't think they can all live peacefully. I have a Coral Beauty in my 90 and 2 Argi Angels in my 125...I would really like to keep all of them and thought if I added them all at once they might be okay in an 8' tank
What do ya think?
Thanks in advance!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6253807#post6253807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JENnKerry
How about keep the current tanks running plus the new one? Problem solved :D

Yikes! Too much work! Anyway, my husbands buying and would never go for that;)

Woo hoo!! So, what'd you have to do to get hubby to go for the idea? I need ideas! LOL, I can't complain--every time I start to think I'm spending too much time on my reef, hubby reminds me how much I get out of it. (Maybe it's just that I nag him less when I'm up to my elbows in saltwater!)

I have two tanks running now... I dont do anything to the lionfish tank but feed and replace water /dump the skimmer. never clean algae or anything --no problems.

the 60g fishonly -- I'm always elbows deep--cleaning algae on live rock and glass, dumping skimmer, replacing water and the tank gives me constant red algae problems.

maybe more than one tank wont be such a chore if you have good nutrient export and filtration.

At least keep one old tank for reef only:D Fill the other with all those other things you can't keep with corals, as your screen name suggests....butterflies maybe??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6254912#post6254912 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by catdoc
Woo hoo!! So, what'd you have to do to get hubby to go for the idea? I need ideas! LOL, I can't complain--every time I start to think I'm spending too much time on my reef, hubby reminds me how much I get out of it. (Maybe it's just that I nag him less when I'm up to my elbows in saltwater!)

Well, he's been hiding the fact that he got a new Bass boat a couple of months ago!:eek: So it was easier for him to tell me after he okay'd my new tank;) Oh well, works for me!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6255154#post6255154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ironsheikh
I have two tanks running now... I dont do anything to the lionfish tank but feed and replace water /dump the skimmer. never clean algae or anything --no problems.

the 60g fishonly -- I'm always elbows deep--cleaning algae on live rock and glass, dumping skimmer, replacing water and the tank gives me constant red algae problems.

maybe more than one tank wont be such a chore if you have good nutrient export and filtration.

What really drives me nuts is the fact that I have no sump! I use canisters to run carbon and I clean them every two weeks:mad: I have 2 canisters on my 125 and one on my 90 [ I also have a 30 gallon in my daughters room] It sometimes takes forever to clean because of my 2 year old son wanting this and needing that...so I want one tank! Oh BTW, If its Cynobacteria you are referring to, get some strong powerheads going in your tank and cut back on lighting and feedings ;)

SDGUY, I am very tempted to throw a bunch of coral in this 8' tank and see what happens w/ my Raccoon...;) I could always use my 30 for a little reef, it would be cheaper!

Hey Kim, I have a 30g reef. Love it! Easy to fill with frags, low cost to keep Ca/alk going strong, easy to change water. Besides, I'd much rather have a big tank as FOWLR, gotta love those angels and butterflies!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6257243#post6257243 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
Hey Kim, I have a 30g reef. Love it! Easy to fill with frags, low cost to keep Ca/alk going strong, easy to change water. Besides, I'd much rather have a big tank as FOWLR, gotta love those angels and butterflies!!

I think thats what I'll do! The lighting would be much cheaper for a 30!;)
And yes, I love my Angels And my Raccoon Butterfly so the big tank will just be a FOWLR

Well, you might consider moving the filtration to the basement. That way you could add a sump, calcium reactor, large skimmer or whatever. That is what I did with both of my tanks.

well you'll have two tanks to make one a fuge and one a sump!

I'd keep the CB with the Argis in a tank that size too

Back