Stocking and clean up crew

locogears

Can someone please recommend a good mix of community fish for a 30g
FOWLR tank and a cleaning crew? I do want percula clowns and some hosts for them so go easy on me with replies, I'm new and want to do this right. PM me if you prefer....

Two full grown clowns in a 30g and you're getting close to a reasonable maximum IMO. One or two additional small fish might work provided they have their own niches in the tank.

Two full grown clowns in a 30g and you're getting close to a reasonable maximum IMO. One or two additional small fish might work provided they have their own niches in the tank.

Yes. And if you add anything on top of the clowns (swimmers of the water column), I would suggest something that stays on the substrate most of the time (such as a Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo).

You can have more fish in a tank if you strategically place them.

Having a few fish in each area of the tank is better than having every fish swim in the middle portion of the water column.

I would stick with turbo snails, trochus snails and ceriths. Avoid the fabled 'detritus eaters' like nassarius and sand sifting stars. A Holothuria sp. would be a better choice for a sand cleaner, stocking one should not be taken lightly.

I have a standard 29 with a 20g refugium. I am stocked with 1 swisguard basslet, 1 blue/green chromis, 1 disco blenny, 1 6-line wrasse (i don't recommend). My inverts are 3 mexican turbos, 3 trochus, 1 royal urchin, 3 blue legged hermits.

With 2 clown in a 30 I cannot see you adding any other fish. Especially once clowns pair they may very well dominate your tank. There are plenty of other interesting fish for that tank. A pistol/goby pair would do nicely (yasha haze + red banded pistol), you could probably add a crypic wrasse and a fang blenny.
A toby puffer (Canthigaster leoparda) would be a good alternative stocking, assuming you don't mind not having inverts. Maybe throw in some other fish that enjoy low light like a swisguard basslet and/or cryptic wrasse/possum wrasse. Possibly even a 2 spot blenny to make up for your lack of CUC.

Whatever you choose, sump and skim your tank. You will thank me later.

Edit: I almost forgot. You can totally keep a Gymnothorax melatremus (dwarf moray) in that tank.

Last edited:
Clowns with an anemone rarely range farther than 6 inches from the host so they are fine in almost any sized tank. Otherwise, why don't you get what interests you? There are no functional requirements on picking fish or inverts that I'm aware of. The hobby is driven by "interest" so I'd suggest using that approach.

Back