Stocking list for 180

texdoc77

Hello all another stocking list for your perusal...

I will have a 180g reef tank and this is what I want to stock. My goal is low bioload because you know "everyone" has done the high bioload thing...

I think most of these fish are usually compatible with reef and each other but of course if you see something that looks off feel free to chime in. The inches at the end are the full grown inches, just fyi. Here they are in the order I was thinking of adding them...

0. Pajama Cardinal 3 of 'em 9"
1. Midas Blenny 5"
2. Lineatus Fairy Wrasse 5"
3. ocellaris clownfish pair 6"
4. Lyretail anthias 2 fem, 1 male 13"
5. Powder blue/brown tang 8"
6. red/green mandarin (you know, when the pods populate)

I'm hoping since I don't have any replies that this list looks OK. I was really wanting some feedback on order introduced as far as keeping aggression low. My thought process was PJ cardinal is pretty peaceful and small (and less expensive) so starting with three of them, then the blenny and wrasse followed by the clown, lyretail and the PBT. I figured adding the clownfish with anemone before the lyretail would be a good idea. Thanks to all those who took a look.

the list looks VERY close to my 150. My thoughts, take or leave:
The PJs are SUPER chill, bother no one, and bothered by no one. Highly recommend. Like freshwater angelfish without the aggression.
Midas Bleeny. I think you need some algae build up or supplement early on, but don't quote me. I like my Diamond Goby that replaced my Bleeny after it passed. I dig both for their personality.
I recommend an auto feeder for the anthias. Mine did great, until the pellets ran out.... Oops.
Fairy Wrasse. Absolutely. Jumpers. get a screen top.
2 clowns are unlikely to be aggressive in a 180 with low stock. Plenty of areas to claim. (unless they are tomatos or maroons, which hate everyone). Get stable and the anemone to not be walking around before you add. If they host something else first, they are unlikely to relocate.
My PBT is by far my favorite, but a TOTAL "B". I also have a YT, and that's the max on pure herbivores. There is plenty of chasing, but no damage after a year. I am pretty sure she force-starved my One Spot Foxface out of competition, in spite of plenty of Nori. You want "low bio load", so do consider that all Tangs are poopy pants. When I had a 75g, I was in love with my Yellow Eyed Kole. Could be a slightly less aggressive option for you. But the PBT is as close as you can get to some of the amazing Butterfly Fish (none of which are really reef safe).
Mandarin. never tried. I have a very productive fuge, but I fear that I'll miss a supplemental feeding and kill it. They are amazing creatures that would likely die in my hands.
Basically it looks like you have a very well balanced group that will occupy non competitive niches. Well done on that part.
You also don't have anything that looks dangerous to corals, clams or inverts.
(and I dig your sig quote from one of my favorite books too!).

Cheers,

Michael

Yes, I meant to put in my original post that one of the reasons I planned to place the clowns (just plain ocellaris) in a little later was for my tank to stabilize and get the anemone to stay in place. My Quarantine regimen is pretty robust and I like to give several weeks in between new tank additions so this will put the clowns at sometime after a year if all goes smoothly, which it won't. I kept a mandarin in the past without any trouble. The pods my fuge produced were enough to keep him going. When I broke the tank down he was in good shape and I gave him to the LFS to sell to someone else.

Anyway thank you for the post, I appreciate your input.

Back