stocky hawkfish, new!

T-T-Trigger

Premium Member
Hey all I got a new fish (about 2 months ago) and wanted to share a photo. This stocky hawkfish is about 6" and is similar to the giant hawk I used to keep, only more personable and colorful. Pretty active and so far this fish is one of my all-time faves. Just got a titan this week to go with him, pics of that fish once he gets settled.

cell phone pic (almost as good as my crap regular camera though :eek: )

7462stockyhawk_phone1.jpg

anyone out there have experience with these guys? he is a voracious eater and I expect him to grow fast (or die from gluttony!?!?!)

Re: stocky hawkfish, new!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12835058#post12835058 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by T-T-Trigger
Hey all I got a new fish (about 2 months ago) and wanted to share a photo. This stocky hawkfish is about 6" and is similar to the giant hawk I used to keep, only more personable and colorful. Pretty active and so far this fish is one of my all-time faves. Just got a titan this week to go with him, pics of that fish once he gets settled.

cell phone pic (almost as good as my crap regular camera though :eek: )

7462stockyhawk_phone1.jpg

anyone out there have experience with these guys? he is a voracious eater and I expect him to grow fast (or die from gluttony!?!?!)

Could it be a juv giant hawk? Ill have to look in the Marine atlas

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12843713#post12843713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
Nice hawkfish! Where did you get it?

It looks a little like the ones Diver's Den is selling as West African hawkfish, C. atlanticus.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=40114

I've thought about buying this fish, so am interested people's input and in your experiences with a similar fish.

I got it from the Divers den a couple months back. The main difference with the one you are looking at is size, i think about 6" is the max for the african one, whereas the giant and stocky get a foot or more.

all hawks are voracious eaters, like a grouper in that way - and almost universally refuse to tolerate another hawkfish, and grouper tankmates dont usually work well either with the medium/large hawks. Good personality - they are one of my favorite family of fishes.

I like them too. I'm thinking of substituting a medium-large hawk for my black tip grouper (up to 16").

I added the Red Sea Titan triggerfish, here is a (cell phone) video of him being added to the tank. I paid through the nose for him, but heck, if you want something you want something... :D

Fast forward to the end if you just want to see the fish, the beginning is just me opening the box, etc...

you tube vid

will add some hawk footage once i get it off my phone.

cheers

...huh, I also notice it missing from justrarefish.........hmmm.

Beautiful fish man! Both'em. Didn't go for the 8" one? Or was it gone.....or am I all wrong with where you got it from.

no i got the smaller one :( - but it wasnt as big as he said. otherwise i would have got the larger. Its still a very nice fish though.

here is the hawkfish, sry for the vid quality - and the music is just to add something interesting.

you tuber

The guy must have a 10" johnson then using his ruler!

Yeah I liked the look of that giant hawkfish....this one is just as cool looking though.

I've got something new too, but don't want to share....yet.

Back