Stonogobiops feeding behavior

I read that the male has a distinct broad black rim along its ventral fin. Its still in hiding, I'll update with some pictures once it decides to emerge.

I also assumed that since they have yet to fight, the odds are looking better.

Oops, forgot to add also that I have a Golden Neon Goby as well :)

You got that right buddy ... the symbiotic relationship is pretty fun to watch. In my thread at SRC, you will also see a short sequence of how the Yashia hovers above the Randalli as it seemingly goes scavenging for food.

Speaking of which, I rarely see the Randalli feeding even when there are pieces of food near the burrow entrance.

Does the partner fish actually feeds the shrimp?
I do notice the Yashia will capture food and turn into the entrance very quickly.

your links to the singapore website do not work. it won't let us view the links. any chance you could attach the images on this thread directly?

Oops ... my apologies Henry.

Here's a short sequence of the Randalli's scavenge run with the female Yashia:

Thanks Eric, she certainly is, and has plumped up a little since. She's feeding primarily on Mysis and Brine shrimps soaked in SELCO. Lately she has taken to FormulaTwo pellets.

Finally managed to lure the new male out of the burrow.
Attached is a picture of the pair.

yashia_pair.jpg

This is my best shot of the touted Male Yashia's distinguishing feature; the black rim along its ventral fin. WIll try to get a better shot later.

The male is the one on the right.

male_yashia.jpg

I will now look only for S. yasha with a black marking on the ventral fin... ;)

Thanks... least I can narrow my search a bit /sigh

No problem, they are very fascinating.
I see both male and female sharing in their responsibility to feed the Randalli. Its quite tough to get up close to them as they are really timid.

Another aquarist in my club managed to pair 2 Yashia, while one looks like any typical female, the other has a red dot on its ventral fin.

I'm only guessing, but the red eye band on the male seem to be broader than the female.

Any comments on that Henry?
(Sorry, I just realised I addressed you as Eric somehow .... sorry)

First off here's the long talked about pic of my Odd Couple:

stonogobiopsis_odd_couple.jpg

I was impulsive last night...

yasha_acclimating.jpg

yasha_acclimating_top.jpg

I'd had these guys on 'special order' for the last six months and though listed several times, we were never able to receive any. Last night my luck broke. I'd have purchased 4 (two with the male-dot; two without), but one of the 'males' jumped into the return plumbing... *insert loud cursing*

So one of these guys (the most timid, both before and after acclimation) has the red/black spot on the ventral/perching fin.

yasha_black_spot2.jpg

Timid is the wrong word to use for the 'male.' He was actually the least timid in that he stayed out, but it seemed he was staying out because he was scared to move anywhere more sheltered. Both of the fems ducked into the odd-couple's burrow (and haven't been seen since).

Here he is 'cowering' from the juve
yasha_male_w_juve.jpg

One of the juve staring me down
yasha_staredown.jpg

The new male; all jaw
yasha_jaws.jpg

New male in classic "artistic nude" pose
yasha_male.jpg

A dark pic showing color detail on back and dorsal webbing
yasha_dorsal.jpg

Still no sign of the females since adding them. Found the male this morning in the back corner of the tank sharing the new A. randalli with last weeks Stonogobiopsis pair (maybe one xanth and one nematodes... could be two nematodes). I thought for certain that pair and their shrimp would have figured out they were missing out on the most food by hiding in that corner by now...

Got the little blokes locally (LFS). Not sure which distributor carried them this time, but it wasn't the normal 'specialty' place.

I have to go back this weekend and fish through the back-vats to find the missing male... ;)

Lost the male (black/red spot on ventral/perching fin) sometime today while I was at work. *sigh*

Meanwhile I found both females (alive and seemingly well)! The big-girl has kicked the 'odd couple' out of their burrow with the A. randalli pair, but seems to have a soft-spot for the juve yasha. Pictures below...

New Queen...
chrissy_w_shrimp.jpg

White-rayed goby...
white_rayed_goby.jpg

Almost accepted...
mah_house.jpg

almost_accepted.jpg

Gangs all here
gangs_all_here.jpg

View from the cheap seats...
view_from_the_cheap_seats.jpg

Outcast crew
outcast_crew.jpg

Nematodes isn't taking his eviction real well yet. Don't feel two bad for him though, he originally evicted the juvenile yasha from this burrow...
nematodes_outcast1.jpg

Flame angel spooks these guys for some reason...
oscar_scaring_yashas.jpg

Enjoy!

DensityMan- Those are just wonderful pictures! :)

It would be my fondest wish to capture mine a fraction as well as you have. Uhgghh, mine see the camera and head for the sand. I try and try to sneak up on them :(

Glad oth of the females are out. I am sure the male is digging about somewhere. Best wishes with them all.

Back