storing live rock

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7567170#post7567170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Yinger
300 in one container? geez... how big was that container? I have a maxijet in each which has probably a little over 100 each. Seems to be enough flow. How long did you have yours in the container for?

I used two of 50 or 55g brute containers and what was left over I put in a rubbermaid 30 gallon. I ended up keeping the liverock in the containers for two weeks. But within 3 or 4 days of getting it it started rotting away with only one maxijet 600. I ended up adding another powerhead and every couple of days I would rotate the liverock, taking it all out and putting what was at the bottom on top and vice versa. The rock ended up recycling by the end of two weeks, but I couldn't get rid of the smell at the beginning. What messed me up to was one of my powerheads malfuntioned and there was no circulation for a couple of hours. It was really bad since I had the rock in my garage and you could smell from the street. What helped me get rid of the smell was the carbon from the group buy Loserkidz did awhile back. I ended up putting like 5lbs of it to get rid of the smell and it worked.

hmm... i have a 2 32 gallon cans with a maxijet 1200 in each so the flow should be a little better... If its starts smeling i'll add some more. Thanks for the advice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565872#post7565872 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andiruleu
i was curious what do you feed the live rock?

Ammonia.

If your not going to be using the same water from the bins for your tank you can dose pure unscented ammonia directly into the tubs. If you do plan on recylcling that water into your system then you can use table shrimp from the grocery store, frozen foods, even flake foods. Anything that will break down into ammonia to feed the bacteria on the rocks to keep it alive.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7568823#post7568823 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pledosophy
Ammonia.

If your not going to be using the same water from the bins for your tank you can dose pure unscented ammonia directly into the tubs. If you do plan on recylcling that water into your system then you can use table shrimp from the grocery store, frozen foods, even flake foods. Anything that will break down into ammonia to feed the bacteria on the rocks to keep it alive.

I heard you do that if you have to cure the rock. If its already live, there's not much you have to do to keep it alive.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7569570#post7569570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Yinger
I heard you do that if you have to cure the rock. If its already live, there's not much you have to do to keep it alive.

This is not true.

There are several ways to get a zero ammonia reading from LR when cycling a tank. It could be that enough bacteria has developed to complete the cycle, and it could be that everything has died off and there is no more source of ammonia. Then the bacteria start to die as well. It is easy to tell when cycling a system if the ammonia reads zero and then you add a source of ammonia and test again in a few hourse. If the bacteria is just dead then there will still be dectectable levels of ammonia in the water.

Bacteria's that live on and in liverock will begin to die off after 48 hours with no food. The bacteria cannot continue to live without something to consume.

When you are going to be storing liverock for extended amounts of time it is important to feed the bacteria to keep it alive.

Personally myself I use the pure unscented ammonia because it is a little cleaner then letting food decay, and you can control the exact amount of ammonia that is introduced.

Back