Storm thread

Travis1787

So I know some of you have generators but for the ones of us who don't what are some good tricks and methods in case of a power outage?

Figured it would help many to hear advice from ones who has experienced it before

Vortechs with battery backup are great. If you have neither the BB or the vortech pump, a battery powered air pump with an air stone is a good shorter term solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good post. I have 3 APC 500 MAH battery back ups that I put online yesterday night to run only one air pump with 2 stones. I connected the in series so they should run that air pump for a day or so.

I have plans to build a solar powered 4 car battery back up system, but I am not even close to finishing that up. If things get bad, I guess I will have to get a generator or bring the whole tank to my LFS. LOL

I would love to do like roger did and get a generator for the whole house and hook it up to kick on when power goes out .... I deff need to have better plans for this tho cause I have nothing really planned

I would love to do like roger did and get a generator for the whole house and hook it up to kick on when power goes out .... I deff need to have better plans for this tho cause I have nothing really planned

Same here, lost half of my corals due to the MH tripping my GFCI (worked fine for a year, now it trips the GFCI). I hope I do not lose the rest of the coral/fish during this storm.

Vortechs with battery backup for me.

Worst case I do have inverter that I'll hook up to the truck for a short time.

All good ideas. Harbor Freight has some really cheap Generators that would run system, fridge and some fans. I bought a much larger one several years ago and a window shaker just for my tanks and my sanity. I cant sleep in 90 degree weather.

at wall mart and probably other fishing stores they sell battery operated bubblers for keeping bait live in a bucket for extended periods. I have personally kept my tank going through several outages with one of them. You might need several for a larger tank but they are cheap and run for a long time on the same battery set (48+ hours in my personal experience.)

Pretty calm so far, but water got pretty high. This was from my neighbor looking towards our house.

abcgjcg.jpg

Had to bring my generator online today luckily it was only for about an hour or so. Worked fine and even stated up on the first pull after not being on for about two months! I was also smoking fish we caught yesterday when it went off. Kinda funny keeping fish alive and cooking other off the same power supply lol.

With the cost of what we have into these tanks and we are willing to drop a $1000 plus for lights and whatever, a small generator to run the essentials is your best bet. I have a 2000w Honda that has been used briefly for 4 power outages. I simply unplug one plug and put an extension to the generator and up and running. If your running Halides, you might just have to shut them off, but that's not a problem. That $500-600 generator comes in handy for all sorts of things around your house in case of an emergency.

That's another thing knowing how much oxygen is enough during an outage

I have a 210

1 air stone every 2 feet of tank is good enough.

Before the generator I had the vortech battery backup for my mp pumps. Battery backup for sale if anyone wants it tonight :)

Also I have an inverter and 4 car batteries that I could have swapped out from the golf cart I could remove :)

Back