Strange Montipora Cap growth

tmc1313

Has anyone ever seen growth like this? Instead of scrolling and layering it's getting delicate spikey branches. Thought it was kind of strange. Maybe not a cap at all, just something else. Check it out:

free upload image

Yeah I don't think it's a cap either. It has more of a spongodes type of growth pattern. It really is a great looking peice. For me growth pattern is just as important or more so than color. Is it a fast grower?

Looks like montipora medusa or othere people call it elk horn

I had a colony of that loved its growth but if a fish looked at it it would break

Yeah I don't think it's a cap either. It has more of a spongodes type of growth pattern. It really is a great looking peice. For me growth pattern is just as important or more so than color. Is it a fast grower?
Yes, fastest grower in the tank except for the blue stag directly above it. I bought it as a small piece glued to a disk along with a pink cap. You can see the pink fighting for space in the middle and is a much slower grower. I thought it would look cool with the two of them growing in and amongst each other, but it seems the green monti has a different agenda.

looks like montipora aequituberculata

Just looked that one up. Has some similarities, but I don't think that's it. I might have to dust off my Veron's book and see what I can find.

Looks like montipora medusa or othere people call it elk horn

I had a colony of that loved its growth but if a fish looked at it it would break

Yes, I think that may be it. It will need to be fragged soon so if anyone is interested let me know. Your right, it is very delicate.

Crazy, at first glance I thought I was looking at sinularia :lolspin: Very cool, have not seen that.

I was looking for other pics of this one and found this old thread.

Mine has become the largest coral in my tank and somehow I overlook it every day. Thought I'd throw it some love...
b7fdeb6bd0cac0665f785d75afbd5b63.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back