Strange! Trochus snail spawning event?

Reef Bass

colors and textures
Was doing a still dark morning check on my tank, and noticed it was a bit milky and had little things flying around the water column. First thought was air bubbles.

But then I noticed ALL of my Trochus snails were near the water line. And I saw one of them spurting milky stuff at another. Or at least pumping out milky stuff while another was right near by. I believe some kind of spawning event is happening.

Normally when I see Trochus on the side of the tank, one can see their foot moving and their mouth rasping the inside glass for algae. All my Trochus are up at the water line, sitting absolutely still, no rasping, no foot movement.

I've been reefing for over 15 years and I've never seen this before. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
Seen them spawning before, usually happened after a water change.

Weirdest thing I saw from a snail was my Astrea snail up at the top of my tank and spitting water out, like an Archer fish.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Seen them spawning before, usually happened after a water change.

Weirdest thing I saw from a snail was my Astrea snail up at the top of my tank and spitting water out, like an Archer fish.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That is odd Yuri. Did that snail do any other tricks as well? ;)

My Trochus event was 4 or 5 days after a water change, so yeah, that may have been a triggering factor.

Back