Straphire or regular glass? Pros/Cons. Ordering tomorrow.

firemedix911

So I'm gonna order my new tank tomorrow. Those of you with more experience. Is straphire worth the price difference. In my case 450.00 for all 3 sides. My biggest concern is the propensity to scratches. I hate a tank with even the slightest scratch. I know regular glass isn't exempt from scratches but I hear low iron scratches easier. Go.

i have strafer and no scratches. I know many say it scratches easy but i am careful and its all good
it looks incredible

How thick is the glass? The thicker the glass the more it matters. I love mine, it's crystal clear. It has 2 scratches probably from me being an idiot. All glass can scratch. My 30 gallon non star fire had a bunch of scratches.

If my wallet can afford it. I will always have prefer starfire. My previous tank was starfire and I didn't know it. My current tank is not and taking pictures thru the glass sucks.

Glass is gonna be 1/2inch. Thats what makes it harder as 1/2 is the point where you want to start considering low iron but it's not 3/4. I looked at 2 tanks today that they were building at exotic(which by the way looked really well made) both 3/4" glass and you could notice the difference. With that said once filled with water and with lights on I have no experience.
To make it even harder to decide I can get the same tank I want only 8 foot for about $500.00 less than the starphire 7 footer. Lol. Same depth and High.

Just do it. Considering all the money you are going to pump into making the tank beautiful, just get a beautiful tank! Tank is the cheapest part. You'll always second guess it if you skimp. I don't know. It's your money;)

Just do it. Considering all the money you are going to pump into making the tank beautiful, just get a beautiful tank! Tank is the cheapest part. You'll always second guess it if you skimp. I don't know. It's your money;)

Lol. Thanks Rovster. You mean go for the 8foot non starphire or just order the 7 foot starphire? Lol.

I have starfire and my glass is pretty thick but my tank is crystal clear!!! I do have one scratch that bothers the hell out of me. Feel free to pm and you can take a look at my tank

SWEET!!!!! New FMAS build thread, woohoo!:celeb1:

Well the order is in Karen was excellent. Answered all of my questions, and I had a lot. Drove me around to visit her warehouse and the tanks they build. I'm very please with their CS so far. Only thing I have to get back to her with the size I want the holes drilled. Got some research to do.

Rovster I wouldn't get too excited over this build. I'm gonna try hard and do my best but after seeing what some members have built here I don't think I can come close. Like said before if I can do half as good I'm gonna be really happy.

It's a great feeling and Can't wait to start working on the project. To work some Overtime now to pay for toys. Looking forward to see brown Santa a lot.:dance:

Well the order is in Karen was excellent. Answered all of my questions, and I had a lot. Drove me around to visit her warehouse and the tanks they build. I'm very please with their CS so far. Only thing I have to get back to her with the size I want the holes drilled. Got some research to do.

Rovster I wouldn't get too excited over this build. I'm gonna try hard and do my best but after seeing what some members have built here I don't think I can come close. Like said before if I can do half as good I'm gonna be really happy.

It's a great feeling and Can't wait to start working on the project. To work some Overtime now to pay for toys. Looking forward to see brown Santa a lot.:dance:

Don't worry about comparing your build to others. We are all here to help and learn from each other.

Congrats on the new tank. I look forward to seeing the new build as well.

Back