Suggestion for new pump

ballenreef

So my Reeflo hammerhead is done. The shaft rusted and it snapped while trying to get the impeller off. I am going to contact Reeflo and see if they can do anything for me. The pump was only used for 3 years. I choose the Reeflo because it was the most energy effienct pump at the time.

Problem being is I don't have a pump to run my system now. The Reeflo fed my Aqua C 400 skimmer (I think it is a 400), was the return to my 180 DT and fed the manifold. The skimmer is recommended to be supplied with a Mag 18. Long story short I need a pump that can push 3000-4000 gph.

My system is plumed so that I can do a 50 gallon water change without having to turn any equipment off. This is why I have one pump feeding everything.

What do you all suggest? Money is always an option so I want to do it as cost effective as possible.

I’m a bit surprised by your issue. I ran Reeflo pumps for many years and the only issue I ever had was the need to replace a seal ever once in a while. Reeflo has good service so hopefully they will work with you on a replacement.

You didn’t meantion your head height/head loss so it’s going to be tough for anybody to recommend a pump that will support that kind of flow without that info. That said, I replaced two Reeflo pumps with a pair of RD3 230’s. One was for my return pump and the other for my closed loop. The Hammerhead gold on my return pulled around 275 watts according to my Kill-Watt meter. I got the same flow from my RD3 230’s at 150 watts of actual usage and that included around 3000 gph to my display as well as feeding my GFO reactor, carbon reactor, display refugium, frag tank and a line that ran 50’ around the perimeter of my house under ground to the garage and back for my chiller loop. I’ve since shut that loop down as I no longer need a chiller but the pump was still only runnning at 150w of it’s max 230w capability so there was plenty of room in it for a LOT more flow. That was 2.5 years ago. I paid full price for my pumps at the time and I’d do it all over again in a heart beat as I truly love these pumps. That said, the RD3’s are not cheap pumps so they aren’t for everybody but they are very powerful, very efficient and as close to silent as you will find.

Sorry there is maybe 4.5’ of head height. The pump is off the ground about 18” and the 180 is in a 3’ y’all stand.

If you don’t want to go the DC route (expensive but can pay off in the long run), I have found Dolphin pumps to be a good alternative to Reeflo.

Currently the main benefit to AC is cost of the pump itself. DC is also a new pump technology and as such there are reliability and longevity issues with some models.

I contacted Reeflo and provided some pictures. They promptly responded, less than 24hrs, and provided me with options of a new one at a discounted rate and 3 year warranty. Or I can send mine to them and pay shipping. If it was deemed repairable they would fix it for $165 including shipping back to me.

I decided to buy a new one. There are not many options in the price range especially at a discounted rate.

I contacted Reeflo and provided some pictures. They promptly responded, less than 24hrs, and provided me with options of a new one at a discounted rate and 3 year warranty. Or I can send mine to them and pay shipping. If it was deemed repairable they would fix it for $165 including shipping back to me.

I decided to buy a new one. There are not many options in the price range especially at a discounted rate.

Good choice, its hard to beat the Reeflo pumps

Back