Hi all! I have a 108 gallon mixed reef tank with sump currently stocked with:
- Powder Blue Tang
- Sailfin Tang
- 2 Ocellaris Clownfish
- Pearly Jawfish
- Royal Gramma
- Midas Blenny
- Possum Wrasse

I was thinking of adding multiple pajama cardinals. If I do have room for more, how many pajamas could I add? If you think I'm already fully stocked let me know. If you have ideas for different fish that would work well with these guys I would love to hear suggestions. Invertebrate in the tank are serpent stars, tube anemone, bubble tip anemone, cleaner shrimp, and fighting conch. Thanks!!!

While you have a couple of heavier bioload fish (the tangs), I would think you could definitely add some more (though you may see territorial aggression from the tangs). I have 5 fish in my 65 and 5 in my wife’s 32 sooo yea.

If you’re up for regular feedings/more challenging fish, could try a small school of anthias or leopard wrasses (not sure on the wrasse compatability though with your possum).

I’m generally not a fan of PJ cardinals (just don’t like the pattern) but I do like the Orange Line Cardinal (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma) and the Red Stop Light Cardinal.

Also the neon wrasse (beautiful as a juvenile…alright as an adult) again not sure of wrasse compatibility

That said, I do think you have room. Your tangs may cause issues no matter what you add. And being that the powder blue can be extremely susceptible to ich (in my experience), I’d either have a strict quarantine process set up or maybe buy pre-quarantined from @Dr. Reef

Cool! Thanks for the advice!! I know what you mean about the Tangs. I had a Blue Hippo for most of my reef keeping and he/she was never agressive to anyone. But after adding the Powder Blue, he/she was fine the first year, but recently becoming aggressive to the Sailfin, doesn't bother any of the smaller fish though. The Sailfin used to follow the Powder Blue around all day long, and still does but often gets chased into the rocks :( My Blue Hippo passed away a year and half ago

Wow, I just read about the Leopard Wrasse, what a fascinating fish!!! I'm not up for feeding more than once a day though. That rules out the Anthias and neon wrasse too. Also I forgot to mention I do have a lid screen on the tank. I just read PJ Cardinals like to be in schools of at least 6, I'm guessing that's way too much bioload for my tank. Maybe I'll just keep things the way they are. Thanks again for your advice!

My experience with chromis is they eventually kill each other off. Others have had success though.

You could potentially look at a dwarf Angel or smaller butterfly (though having the shrimp, conch, and Star may be an issue depending on species)

Option (if your interested).
5 small simple orange purple eye anthais (all females).
These will stick together mid, to upper mid waters, are colourful and one female will turn “reddish/orange” change sex, an lead the other 4.
Go well with all your current friends.
You have a nice setup there!
157AA1BA-79D1-4263-8E99-55FEF3C28094.jpeg

I'm always a fan of hawkfish, just ridiculous personality. Unfortunately I think your shrimp would be a menu item.
Great point, yup, I added a long nose hawk, took out both a red and a skunk, without hesitation.
Oh well, live and learn I guess.

Now I'm thinking small school of Blue/Green Chromis? say 3?
If your going to do chromis then say 7.
You’ll may lose 1-2 quickly.
They don’t do as well in smaller (less than 75), they like the bigger waters.
A group would look very nice in your 108 DT.
For absolute sure, must be QT’d these guys.

My experience with chromis is they eventually kill each other off. Others have had success though.

You could potentially look at a dwarf Angel or smaller butterfly (though having the shrimp, conch, and Star may be an issue depending on species)
oh yea I don't want to take that chance. That's not the type of school I was looking for lol. FYI: I did have a drawf angel I absolutely loved him!! and I was lucky he didn't pick at any corals. He didn't last long though I have no idea why

Option (if your interested).
5 small simple orange purple eye anthais (all females).
These will stick together mid, to upper mid waters, are colourful and one female will turn “reddish/orange” change sex, an lead the other 4.
Go well with all your current friends.
You have a nice setup there!
View attachment 32372624
Thank you Uncle99!! I would love of a school of Anthias!!!! The only thing troubling me is their feeding schedule. Would I have to feed them more than once a day??? I currently feed frozen brine & mysis and nori once per day

Thank you Uncle99!! I would love of a school of Anthias!!!! The only thing troubling me is their feeding schedule. Would I have to feed them more than once a day??? I currently feed frozen brine & mysis and nori once per day
I feed twice per day, noon and 7.
They say they need to be fed multiple times per day.
I have not found that to be true, I can only attest to twice per day.
I’d still go forward.

Get the friendly ones, I know the simple orange ones work, but some, can be VERY dominant over the others. You may not like that kinda thing, but if you go that way, gotta have a top. Mine are 3 years old, simple orange, not overly aggressive, purple stripe through the eye, never jump at all, but still a soft chase here and there.

They more follow each other around, mostly mid to upper middle waters, Chromis are the better schoolers.

Chromis only do well in larger families (say 10) in larger waters, (say 100+) and if QT’d together, they are safe for your DT.
They only kill each other off if space is small, say 50g or lower.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back