Sump builder

jt_redmist

Hi there,
I'm looking to have someone build me a custom sump. Anyone know of a good acrylic sump builder in the bay area?

JT

Mermaid had a custom acrylic sump built for me. The turn around time.... one day!!! They called me the next morning and it was already done. He said it's not always possible to be that fast, though. Of course, I was thrilled.

Yes, I have a very oddly shaped stand (tall and narrow) so I needed a sump that fit in exactly, to maximize the gallonage of the sump. I'm not exactly a handy-woman so I needed someone to put in the the baffles to make the bubble trap, and space for the return pump. Also the bulk head or whatever you call it was already in place for me. I'm not sure what it cost but but it definitely wasn't $25. But having it the next day, now that was priceless!

I also had a oddly shaped stand (almost square) and I had to custom make a sump. What I did was designing the sump myself, drawing everything on a piece of paper, taking it to Tap Plastic and had all the pannels cut there, and take the parts home and glue everything together myself. Cutting is the most demanding part of the process which I do not want to do myself, and Tap Plastic charge by square footage only. The acrylic cost me about $100 (not as cheap as $25), but I saved at least $200 that they will charge if they glue it for me. And more importantly, it fits my stand just the way I like it.

Hey Tong, that's exactly what I did with my overflow box. I don't trust my tooks when it comes to cutting perfect edges. :D THey cut all the pieaces for me for like 25 bucks and I glued them together myself. I really like their service, I didn't have a drawing or anything. I told them what I wanted to do and they cut all the pieces to go together perfectly, even taking the size of acrylic into consideration when cutting.

Hey Danny, the way I look at it, it's not only fun to DIY on the easy parts, it also give a little bragging power when friends come over:D

I'm interested in getting a custom sump built as well. I'm not ready to do my own acrylic work, I'm sure it would fall apart and flood the floor. And I can't seem to find a glass tank that is the size I want to make a sump for my new tank.

Anyone know who does reasonably priced acrylic sumps in the area?

Me or the OP? Haven't completely settled, but I'm thinking around 30" to 36" long, 15" to 16" wide, and 16" tall. Almost like a 40 breeder, but not as wide so it will fit in my stand.

Why dont use a 30 to 45 galllon acylic tank and cut and add baffles. The dimesions you gave seem standard 30 and 36 length and 15 depth.

True, but I've had no luck finding a used one. I could get a new one at and do it, but at the prices for a new one, I could almost get a sump built.

It's very hard to find a used acrylic tank. Either that or you'll find a used one that is overpriced. I think I'll take a chance and build one myself through Tap plastics.

i built one for myself last year to fit under my 55. i think it came out to 40x10x16 to maximize space. hasn't leaked and it just fits an ASM G-2 in the return section. I got a quote from tap plastic for the price of acrylic but they were a little steep. I actually ordered it from a shop in NY that i read about here on RC. i got it all shipped for $95 tap plastic was around $135. if i can find the name of the place i got it from i'll post it. (i think my wife kept there info?)

It's the assembly that scares me. I put together my own overflow boxes for my new tank, but those don't have to hold water. I can only imagine what would happen if my DIY acrylic sump pulled apart spilling 30 gallons on my downstairs neighbors carpet.

Back